Coolant liquid route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GMack

Car
E class 250 2009
I have had a leak on my E250 saloon 2009 for a while.
The car has not been driven since the leak discovered.
Can anyone tell me the path that coolant liquid takes after you put some into the expansion tank. Within a minute or so it's pissing out from under the the engine somewhere. What could be leaking coolant when the engine is cold like this,
If I understand what route it takes I may be able to understand this???

Normally:

Expansion tank
Rad
Bottom hose
Stat
Block
Top end
Heater /ancillaries
Top hose
Rad
Start again.

I would be looking towards bottom hose first with the caveat! Water always exits at the lowest escape point.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Sounds like a hose may be split . If water ,or coolant , is running out like you say.You do need to check all th hoses that you can find .And may be an easy fix if thats all that it is.

The leak is coming from high up in the underneath of the engine.

The large lower radiator hose is connected to a solid black plastic pipe. This solid pipe has a sensor in it and leads back up into the engine. The leak is somewhere this.

A 3D image of the engine would be helpful.

Presumably the 250 has plastic shields underneath, if so, and assuming you haven't already done so, removing that as a first stage should make diagnosis far easier.

Is it definitely coming from under the engine itself , or is it running off the cover. It could be many things, even a stone through the rad. Has any work been done on it recently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom