Coolant Temp always reading 80c ..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay786

Car
A150
I thought the right engine temperature was 90 degrees but my one always goes up to 80 and nothing more.

Is that normal?

does it mean my sensor is at fault or the thermostat?

Nothing to worry about, ambient temperature is colder this time of year.

10 degrees is neither here nor there tbh, if it was at 60 degrees fair enough.
The temperature outside will effect running temps slightly.

i am given to understand if you run with a properly working 92C thermostat, all things being equal, fuel consumption will be at optimum - made nearly 10% difference on my 648 diesel. previously running at circa 80C - relatively straightforward job - thermostat, sensor and housing complete - less than £30 at mister auto

Mine (M271) is a smidgen over the 80 mark, always has been.

i am given to understand if you run with a properly working 92C thermostat, all things being equal, fuel consumption will be at optimum - made nearly 10% difference on my 648 diesel. previously running at circa 80C - relatively straightforward job - thermostat, sensor and housing complete - less than £30 at mister auto

There are 3 thermostats with full housing on misterauto ... which one is good and correct fit?

* Gates - £33.01
* Calorstat by Vernet - £23.48
* Valeo - £29.39

Thanks

What engine do you have? If petrol then should be 90c - diesel slightly cooler 80/85c. The way you can tell whether thermostat needs replacing is not just the temperature but more so the speed which temp gauge rises from cold. Correctly working thermostat closes off coolant until engine reaches temperature. Even this time of year or even colder and assuming you are on reasonably open road ( not pooling in traffic from cold) your temp gauge should hit 80c in 5-10 mins. Any longer it sounds like a problem thermostat . Also when it reaches temperature it should stay solid as a rock at the level and will not fluctuate whether -10c or +30c ambient temperature. Had mine replaced 6 months ago at 60k on a 2005 c220cdi that's why I know!

A150 Petrol ... mine goes to 80 degrees within 10 minutes but nothing more.

Why is it the A Class has 80 degrees at the centre of the clock. Every other car has the gauge hitting 90 degrees as centre?

A150 Petrol ... mine goes to 80 degrees within 10 minutes but nothing more.

Why is it the A Class has 80 degrees at the centre of the clock. Every other car has the gauge hitting 90 degrees as centre?

Not every other car....:

Mine (M271) is a smidgen over the 80 mark, always has been.

To the OP, I think you should compare your readings to that of a similar model of car/engine, rather than just ask the question in general - it seems that 80-90 degrees is common across MB cars and as such might not necessarily be an indication of fault.

I replaced the thermostat on my w211 E270 because on the motorway the guage was dropping. Now it sits one bar above 80, the heater is alot hotter and hopefully I will get more MPG.

If you go on a steady run and the engine temp drops its the thermostat.
It will warm up alot quicker if the stat is working correctly.

right ... i was driving around today and it was below 80 degrees ... i put the heating on full blast and it went down to 70 degrees ... should the heating make it go up and down?

before it used to be bang on 80 degrees but now its around 78 degrees ... im guessing you guys are gona say to change it now :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom