Coolant Visit Workshop Fault P1636-008

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveatpipex

Car
CLK 270 and BMW Z4 with a VFR750 sadly off the road
Hi All, would like to have a shot at this myself as research suggests that one possible cause is a simple wiring fault. So, CLK 270D 2005 model 209.316. It was sorned for some time and was perfect at the start of the sorn period.

Around October last year I decided to out it back on the road. 2 faults had developed in the time - Air Conditioning refrigerant had leaked out and the "Coolant Visit Workshop" fault now appears a few seconds after starting he engine.

The engine fan (Suction fan?) goes into fast mode immediately, and stays there until switching the engine off - the engine never warms up properly and sticks around 60 - 80 degrees. I gather that this is its safety mode.

The fault showing is P1636-008 "Electric Suction Fan Open Circuit" suggesting a fault somewhere between the ECU and the suction fan module (from reading many threads). This was at a Merc independent who was replacing a suspension part for MOT -I didn't ask him to go any further because he started blaming the Fan Module straightaway and quoting £500 plus at least.

Our friend Google indicates it could be a variety of issues, including wiring loose or broken, fuse, relays(?), Fan Module and ECU

So far I have had the Air Con repaired (A broken seal) and have checked fuse 51 in the front fuse box. A visual check of the wires going into the bottom of the Suction Fan module looks ok.

I am stuck because I have no idea where the various bits are to check.

1) So, are there any sensors I can check and where are they located?
2) Is there a regular fault on this engine/model that I could look at?
3) Any idea where the wiring goes after leaving the Suction Fan module on the n/s bottom radiator?
4) Where is the ECU that keeps getting mentioned in other threads about this?
5) Of the relays in the engine bay Fuse Box are any of them used for the suction fan and if so which is it - I can try swapping them maybe.

The reason I am doing this is because some threads indicate that dealers have put the car onto STAR, told customer they need a new radiator and fan module (one piece unit) and it has not sorted the problem. I understand STAR can only come up with the fault code rather than a full diagnosis? So, I want to try the easy and obvious stuff first! Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom