coolant / water ratio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackscooby

Car
W203 C32 AMG, Honda VFR Vtec, Peugeot 205 GTi rally car
What is the recommended coolant / water ratio ?
I think I've a tester somewhere, but can't remember what it should be.

Ta

50/50 is what MB recommend.

However, in countries where climate is extremely cold i.e. Scandinavia or Russia a stronger concentration of coolant is required

Cheers. I'll have to top up this w/e, but I'll top up with 50/50

Thanks

Mark

Not a problem.

Has MB fixed the problems with your car yet (loss of coolant) or at least found the cause ?

No to both.
Not willing to discuss the issue as yet. I will once "someone" takes ownership of my issue, but as I was informed there was No Fault Found following its pressure test the other week, and again on Monday.

Strange as it's loosing 10mm of coolant every day !

Not amused.

Not amused letter sent to DC.

blackscooby said:
No to both.
Not willing to discuss the issue as yet. I will once "someone" takes ownership of my issue, but as I was informed there was No Fault Found following its pressure test the other week, and again on Monday.

Strange as it's loosing 10mm of coolant every day !

Not amused.

Not amused letter sent to DC.

Don't be too hard on them, coolant leaks can be very difficult to find, if no leaks are apparent with the pressure test they really need to check for combustion gasses in the coolant, this can be done using a special kit, dye can also be added to the coolant and leaks checked with ultra violet light, much the same as for a/c leak detection. If your cars an auto, check the gearbox for coolant also!!

Just spoken with Mondial Assurance (aka MB Warrenty), under the T's and C's of the warrenty
"3) You agree that you will pay the costs of dismantling and repairing the vehicle if the cause of the failure is not covered by the warrenty."

Basically as the car has not "failed" then I have to give MB my permission for the car to be stripped. Should no fault be found the bill is mine.

Seems very short sighted, but wait for failure seems to be the conclusion. Coolant loss is not deemed failure.
Maybe one day it will hydrolic !!!
Then that will be quite some bill (if it is loosing water internally)

Last edited:
Glenn Smith said:
they really need to check for combustion gasses in the coolant, this can be done using a special kit, dye can also be added to the coolant and leaks checked with ultra violet light,

Simpler than that is to waft the exhaust gas analyser probe ofer the expansion tank filler with the cap off. If there are combustion gasses in there the analyser will pick them up.

blackscooby said:
Just spoken with Mondial Assurance (aka MB Warrenty), under the T's and C's of the warrenty
"3) You agree that you will pay the costs of dismantling and repairing the vehicle if the cause of the failure is not covered by the warrenty."

Basically as the car has not "failed" then I have to give MB my permission for the car to be stripped. Should no fault be found the bill is mine.

Seems very short sighted, but wait for failure seems to be the conclusion. Coolant loss is not deemed failure.
Maybe one day it will hydrolic !!!
Then that will be quite some bill (if it is loosing water internally)

Any untoward steam from the exhaust on cold start?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom