Copper Sump Plug Washer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Is there anywhere you can get a multipack of these?

I pay around £1.20 per washer from GSF. Which seems a bit much for a single washer.

Thanks again,
Abs

If you take the washer's measurements, you should be able to order them online in bulk.

But... how often do you change engine oil? And presumably you are not using an oil extractor pump?

Is there anywhere you can get a multipack of these?

I pay around £1.20 per washer from GSF. Which seems a bit much for a single washer.

It is. Try eBay, but buy copper crush washers rather than flat washers; less risk of over-torquing and stripping threads. All you need do is tighten the sump plug until the crush washer is fully crushed, then when the resistance starts to increase, tighten a further quarter to half a turn.

I wonder if anyone knows the size please?

But... how often do you change engine oil? And presumably you are not using an oil extractor pump?

At least a few times a year across the cars. :) I can always keep say a box of 50 for a few years! :)

Gold magnetic sump plug and oil extractor .
In the olden days when I was a young man and serviced my cars DIY, I used to place a magnet in the sump plug (both engine and transmission).

But these days I just let the garage service the car, and they just do whatever it is that they do....

Update just to confirm there are 25 in a packet! :)

You could 're-invigorate' it.

Copper 'work hardens'. But that can be reversed.
(Unless it's got big chunks missing or deep indentations evident)

Just heat to cherry red on the gas hob, and it softens again, fit to be re-used.

The timing of this "technical operation" is key...;)

You could 're-invigorate' it.

Copper 'work hardens'. But that can be reversed.
(Unless it's got big chunks missing or deep indentations evident)

Just heat to cherry red on the gas hob, and it softens again, fit to be re-used.

The timing of this "technical operation" is key...;)

Thanks, but at 22p each I would rather just change it. (I’m reallllllly lazy :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom