Cordless Drill: Makita vs DeWalt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If DIY is all it being used for why not try Bosch? Mine was under £150 and copes very well with everything I throw at it.

I would spend a bit more and go for li-ion batteries.
Have a look at this AEG with 2 x 3.0Ah batteries.
I once picked up a Makita Li-ion 18v (bottom of their range) with 1 x 3.0Ah battery for £99+VAT.

I bought that AEG one last year for about £140 from an independent tool shop. It's been great and would recommend one. I did see the same kit on sale in B&Q for £80 though, was gutted but nearly bought another one just to have!

Considering that the OP hasn't been back to this thread - or the forum - since the initial post, perhaps we should wait for some feedback from him on our existing posts before expending any energy on providing further drill-related tips and ideas?

It is a mystery to me why people ask questions and then just pike off. I mean, if you are too busy to come back to the forum and review the help provided, why bother wasting everyone's time in the first place?

In fact, Makita drill pack in Nick's link above is Ni-Cd too!

Your right! none of the ones I have looked at in my price range have the Lithium battery... I think it might be worthwhile getting one as if I am only going to use it now and again I don't think the Ni-Cd ones will last long

Considering that the OP hasn't been back to this thread - or the forum - since the initial post, perhaps we should wait for some feedback from him on our existing posts before expending any energy on providing further drill-related tips and ideas?

It is a mystery to me why people ask questions and then just pike off. I mean, if you are too busy to come back to the forum and review the help provided, why bother wasting everyone's time in the first place?

Sorry for my late reply... I work night shifts that's why I go missing for a few days on end!

To be honest I was liking the Makita and after reading all the post's it is probably what I will go for... The only thing now putting me off the one I posted about is the battery.

Am I able to upgrade the battery to a Lithium one (IE buy one after and use that instead of the ones it comes with?)?

Again sorry for my delay I do read all the threads I subscribe to.

You can only upgrade from ni-cd to ni-mh batteries on those makita drills. the ones with lithium batteries are completely different.

If DIY is all it being used for why not try Bosch? Mine was under £150 and copes very well with everything I throw at it.

I've been very pleased with my 18v (I think) li-ion Bosch drill driver. Holds charge very well which makes it useful when you need it to be.

If you're only using the drill around the house, I wouldn't worry about battery life etc too much even a Makita 18v with 1.3Ah batteries should do you.

In fact, the mark-up is on the battery so if you buy a drill with just one battery, you'll get a lot more for your money.

How much are you intending to spend?

Last edited:
I have a set of superb Makita drills with Li-Pol batteries and cant fault them, I have also just bought a set of Milwaukee drills and they seem every bit as good.

Milwaukee Drill Linky

I think the most important for me was to have a metal gear case and 3.0Ah power as they have far more torque...1.5Ah seem to run out a bit too quick.

We used to use Milwaukee Drills, they are excellent.
(And they are AEG`s reboxed)

Sorry for my late reply... I work night shifts that's why I go missing for a few days on end!

To be honest I was liking the Makita and after reading all the post's it is probably what I will go for... The only thing now putting me off the one I posted about is the battery.

Am I able to upgrade the battery to a Lithium one (IE buy one after and use that instead of the ones it comes with?)?

Again sorry for my delay I do read all the threads I subscribe to.

You will not be able to use Li-on batteries on a Nicad machine.
If you are looking to spend below £100 you will be looking at other brands.

AEG and Milwaukee are owned by Ryobi but are completely different machines.
We dropped AEG as the batteries and charges kept breaking.
Milwaukee are a different proposition.

I would definately go for Li-Ion as they hold the charge better and charge faster.
With ni-cad, if you are an occasional user, each time you use the tool it will need charging before you start.

If you're only using the drill around the house, I wouldn't worry about battery life etc too much even a Makita 18v with 1.3Ah batteries should do you.

In fact, the mark-up is on the battery so if you buy a drill with just one battery, you'll get a lot more for your money.

How much are you intending to spend?

I am only looking at spending a maximum of £150.
You'r probably right about the battery around the house.

I think 1 battery should do me fine however most of them come with 2.

Seeing how you can get drill with li-ion batteries for same price.
Bosch GSB 14.4 2-Li 14.4V 1.3Ah Li-ion Cordless Combi Drill | Screwfix.com
i would definately go for lithium as you can charge it whenever you like.

you could also look on ebay for second hand driils like this for example:
bosch gsb 18 ve-2-li | eBay
If it looks to be in good condition.

Thanks the first link is a 14.2V model I'd prefer a 18V one I think.
I saw a Bosch one at Homebase that was half price to £50 and was 18V however did not have hammer mode... Not sure if I even need hammer mode as I have a good corded drill that does that.

I don't really want a 2nd hand one to be honest

MAKITA BHP452RFWX 18V COMBI DRILL 1 BATTS Li-ion £160inc vat & delivery
BOSCH GSB18VLI 2x3ah Li-lon COMBI DYNAMICSERIES £239 "

Bosch Professional tools carry a 3 year warranty if registered on line

Last edited:
You will not be able to use Li-on batteries on a Nicad machine.
If you are looking to spend below £100 you will be looking at other brands.

AEG and Milwaukee are owned by Ryobi but are completely different machines.
We dropped AEG as the batteries and charges kept breaking.
Milwaukee are a different proposition.

I think DeWalt manufacture their Li-ion batteries to fit all of their cordless tools, past and present.
Having been a DeWalt man for years, I changed to Makita about three and a half years ago and find them excellent. The only Makita thing that has let me down was a Li-ion battery, over three years old and Makita replaced it free of charge...
My tools have a very hard life.

I think DeWalt manufacture their Li-ion batteries to fit all of their cordless tools, past and present.
Having been a DeWalt man for years, I changed to Makita about three and a half years ago and find them excellent. The only Makita thing that has let me down was a Li-ion battery, over three years old and Makita replaced it free of charge...
My tools have a very hard life.

True

Forgot about Dewalt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom