Cordless hedge trimmers recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Budget ideally £100, does anyone have any personal experience of these?

I've a sneaking suspicion that unless I go heavy, the battery won't last more than a couple of twigs.

All help appreciated.

I can't recommend any Lee...I haven't found any to match a proper cabled one. They are slow and heavy.

I can't recommend any Lee...I haven't found any to match a proper cabled one. They are slow and heavy.

That's what I thought but as I don't cut the hedge very often I thought it might just be easier than spending 5 hours setting it up and putting it away which seems to take longer than the event itself.

I bought one for my parents, had an 18v nicad, lasts 15mins tops..

Really depends on exactly what you have to cut [ nature of the vegetation- soft growth or woodystuff ]---how much there is[ length of hedging] and , bearing in mind the weight of a decent size battery pack, whether you have a lot of work above shoulder level. With cordless be prepared for a leisurely approach---- cut a bit---- recharge batteries---- cut a bit more etc etc --- if hedge cutting is essentially a chore to be over and done with-- go mains power

Is a petrol one out of the question?

Endless bangy power so long as you keep it topped up with petrol and 2 stroke oil...

That's what I thought but as I don't cut the hedge very often I thought it might just be easier than spending 5 hours setting it up and putting it away which seems to take longer than the event itself.

I don't follow you...5 hours to set up what?

I have about 300 feet of hedging to cut. They are more than 10 feet high...and I can cut them all in about 3 hours. But that was because I used staging which had to be put up and taken down every 10 feet or so. But, I just bought a platform on wheels which will make for a much quicker job.

Last edited:

Endless bangy power so long as you keep it topped up with petrol and 2 stroke oil...

I have a long reach petrol jobbie...great. But in normal circumstances I find petrol hedge cutters extremely heavy...and only really worthwhile if an electric power source is not easily to hand.

My experience of battery powered cutters tells me, go petrol!

:thumb:

I have a Husqvarna 122HD, slices through the hedges at home with ease and no heavier than a decent battery powered model.

In the minority here I guess but we bought a B&D Battery trimmer two years ago and it's been very good, we have a 20' row of 12' high conifer hedge (flat topped now!) to trim a couple of times a year and the front 60' "copse" of various trees and big bushes longside the lane to trim also, used to do it all with a mains trimmer but after cutting through the cable for the 4th time in 20 years I decided the cable was getting f****d, I looked at petrol but given the small amount we need and its only twice a year or so we went for this 18volt jobby, works very well not quite as strong as the mains version but it hasn't yet encounted much it cannot cut.

One word of warning though is the weight, I am getting on a bit now and with my nerve problems cannot hold the damn thing aloft for very long anymore, the mains version was a featherweight by comparison, I'd imagine the petrol trimmers are just as heavy if not more so.

I would go petrol.
I have a mains powered one with a long cutting blade and it still kills my forearms - I'd hate to think what a battery powered one would do.

Mind you, I am a scrawny weakling.

How about a corded mains hedge trimmer, and a cheap generator for when you are too far away from mains power?

A man of your substance should have a gardener to do it.

I did a lot of research before I bought mine. Its a Bosch AHS 48Li.
lithium batteries, it came with 2 and each one lasts about an hour.
I would recommend this one. I have a large garden and tons of shrubs and I've had 3 years now and its still going strong.
Amazon sell them

I've just brought a black and decker gtc1850n and I'm very happy with the weight , cut and battery lasting , hope it helps

Thanks for the suggestions, I was sure they'd not but up to a corded trimmer but it's more for ease of use.

Plus if the battery only lasts 30 minutes it means more tea breaks.

I bought a B&Q own brand

Mac Allister 18V LI Electric Cordless Li-Ion Hedge Trimmer | Departments | DIY at B&Q

We've used it to trim vines as well as in the garden and it is very good and holds charge for around 20 minutes of intense use and charges up in about 2 hours. Petrol would be better but unless you've got 64km of vines to trim as we do it should suffice.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom