Cordless power tool advice sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giantvanman

MB Enthusiast
Car
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
My son is embarking on a new career, training to be a carpenter and builder. What tools do and what is needed for particular tasks is straightforward but we are having the devil's own trying to decide upon cordless power tools. It is bad enough trying to compare models made by the same manufacturer but it becomes a Mensa test to compare makes with makes………..the adverts don't always make things particularly clear.

The idea is to buy, preferably locally, either a combo drill and impact driver set (about £340-400) or a medium set (drill/impact/jigsaw/grinder or reciprocating/circular saw, typically) at about £700-800 with 4ah battery rating. By far the most common/popular seems to be DeWalt but Bosch/Makita/Hitachi all seem to rate well.

The number of batteries obviously affects price (we think either two or three minimum, set size dependant). The confusion arises trying to compare 'features'.

So, in the panel's opinion and experience, how do we cut through the jargon or do you have a recommendation? Because if it were left to me, I would start him off with one or two Festool creations but I don't think he would thank me when it came time to add to the collection………….rightly or wrongly, it seems logical to keep to one make if only for battery interchangeability.

All advice gratefully received with thanks in advance.

While I don't use my power tools professionally , I did have a pair of Bosch drills , one with screwdriver function , which gave excellent service for about 15 years until the batteries eventually died and would no longer hold a charge .

While this seems to be quite a common problem , I found that original replacement batteries were stupidly expensive - to the point that it was cheaper to buy new tools ; and aftermarket replacements were not that much cheaper , as well as being an unknown quantity .

Last year , I bought a new Ryobi 18V drill/driver - the beauty of this system was that I was able to buy a starter kit of drill , charger and two high capacity batteries ( IIRC around £150 ) . After this you can buy individual tools : drills , saws , torches etc at modest cost , same with extra batteries ( the same batteries can be used across all the tools ) so you only need to buy what you need , and all items are readily available if one should fail .

I would say the quality and performance is equal to the Bosch ones I had before .

This is the set I bought , you can see the others in the range on the website , or on display in B&Q .

http://www.diy.com/departments/ryob...-2-batteries/546421_BQ.prd?_requestid=5666610

Last edited:
If you have a branch of Axminster near you (I know there's one at Bobbing near Sittingbourne, colloquially know as my toyshop, but don't know if there's one in Essex yet) it's worth a visit. They have a superb selection of tools, but best of all is the breadth and depth of their knowledge, both home use and trade. Failing that, have a look at www.axminster.co.uk.

As it's trade, my first choice would probably be Makita - I have a few of their corded power tools (bought second hand off Ebay) and they're good.

Must be Lithium Ion to avoid the dreaded battery memory effect. They are the most expensive but its for a reason. Next NiMH and last by a long way NiCAD. Sharing a battery platform/charger for several tools is useful but there are limits. There are also consumer and professional quality tools from the same manufacturer. Be prepared to have them nicked!

Axminster distributors as mentioned above, Festool are the brand for when your livelihood in woodworking depends on it

Before you spend an absolute fortune on power tools, remember that they are stolen with alarming regularity.

Competent, but cheaper, tools could be an alternative; their loss would not be quite so tragic.

Makita are well regarded by the trade and their cost reflects that.

However, as a tradesman he needs quality and reliability so it's money well spent.

Festool are the top of the tree for woodworking power tools, without question. Hilti are also excellent but are more heavy-artilerry focused, their level lasers are unrivalled. Panasonic are also very good, I'd say in the division below Hilti and Festool and way above the rest.

Makita are good if sticking to a budget, DeWalt are Black & Decker in drag (so you'd be as well buying B & D) and Bosch are decent enough also.

When I served my apprenticeship, the man who taught me said to always buy the best possible tools you can, it makes your job a whole lot easier and he was right.

In my opinion there's a huge difference between the requirements of a hobbyist or keen amateur and those of a professional, who relies on his tools to make his living.

I don't suppose it's a coincidence that all the various tradesmen who have done work at my house have had without exception DeWalt or Makita cordless tools.

Festool are the top of the tree for woodworking power tools, without question. Hilti are also excellent but are more heavy-artilerry focused, their level lasers are unrivalled. Panasonic are also very good, I'd say in the division below Hilti and Festool and way above the rest.

Makita are good if sticking to a budget, DeWalt are Black & Decker in drag (so you'd be as well buying B & D) and Bosch are decent enough also.

When I served my apprenticeship, the man who taught me said to always buy the best possible tools you can, it makes your job a whole lot easier and he was right.

Are they made by the same company? I know Screwfix own brand is Erbhaur(?) which is allegedly made by DeWalt.

Are they made by the same company? I know Screwfix own brand is Erbhaur(?) which is allegedly made by DeWalt.

It's been a while now so I can't remember who bought who, but I wouldn't buy their tools; I know someone that repairs power tools for a living and his main custom, by a long way, is DeWalt (or DeFault as he likes to call them).

He told me the technicalities of why they weren't very good, but he's very particular and boring so I started daydreaming instead of listening.

Also worth noting that DeWalt USA are very good, so I don't know if Black and Decker just bought the name for over here...

Also worth noting that DeWalt USA are very good, so I don't know if Black and Decker just bought the name for over here...

I did look at buying DeWalt from the US because they are so much cheaper but would be concerned about the lack of warranty for such crucial/expensive items.

EDIT: Learned something- "But Black + Decker’s new look isn’t a hasty move – the re-design is part of a three year initiative to re-brand Black + Decker and its sister companies DeWalt and Stanley" and are owned by Stanley Black and Decker Inc.

Last edited:
what sort of building and carpentry?, GVM, as this would have a bearing on what's needed

and can he use hand tools if the batteries run out? sometimes it's quicker to trim with a small block plane than set up a router jig

Last edited:
I prefer to use dewalt, some of my tools have had a right battering, out in the rain, laid in puddles, mud, snow - you name it my tools have probably been laid in it. I'm yet to have a failure with any of my Dewalt stuff. My choice would be Dewalt with Makita a very close second. The main reason I stick with dewalt is to keep the batteries/chargers all interchangeable.

what sort of building and carpentry?, GVM, as this would have a bearing on what's needed

and can he use hand tools if the batteries run out? sometimes it's quicker to trim with a small block plane than set up a router jig

He has just started during first fix stage of a house extension. Having done engineering at college a few years ago, he has picked up general woodworking easily up to, believe it or not, routing joints for kitchen work tops today…..two weeks in from starting officially. His boss is lining up course(s) for professional qualifications in carpentry and general building.

The boss is so impressed with his work/attitude etc that he has already bought him some basic hand tools (which he can use well) and has said after getting some experience on the job and qualifications (as quick as 6-12 months for the latter) he will be turned loose in a company van to do basic stuff like hanging doors, stairs, hanging joists etc.

sounds like he has an aptitude and good attitude, hope he gets on well with it

I am a joiner and i have always used dewalt, i currently have there new XR range which in my opinion are first class.
You can buy the kits which come with combi drill, jigsaw, circular saw, impact driver and torch all of which i use on a daily basis, dewalts 2nd fix nail gun is also a great piece of kit mine is the older model but still fantastic.
Just remember to keep the blades sharp and service them and they will last for years.

I am a joiner and i have always used dewalt, i currently have there new XR range which in my opinion are first class.
You can buy the kits which come with combi drill, jigsaw, circular saw, impact driver and torch all of which i use on a daily basis, dewalts 2nd fix nail gun is also a great piece of kit mine is the older model but still fantastic.
Just remember to keep the blades sharp and service them and they will last for years.

We have looked at the combo kits in the XR range but none of the tool suppliers do a comparison facility so very difficult to judge which models in the line are best value in the various kits.
As some have said, may be better for us to go into somewhere like Axminster branch for face to face advice but we do seem to be going around in circles or the kits get larger and larger as does the cost!

Also worth mentioning that Bosch have two ranges : the consumer tools are green and the professional ones are blue .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom