Cordless power tool advice sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The higher the battery voltage the more torque so, for heavy jobs, 18 Volt kit is better.

my 18v milwaukee p1ssess on my (older) 36v blue bosch drill. The milwaukee is brushless though

Two batteries is not enough, you need three minimum to avoid downtime.

If you have a cordless circular saw that's going to get some decent use then you'll need 4 batteries. Circular saws eat power.

18v LXT is the way to go, don't bother with anything lower than that.

I had a gearbox go in my Makita drill driver, was able to buy the part on eBay for £5 to repair it and with help of a youtube video able to dismantle and put it back together full working and fixed.

The tool shop wanted to write it off.

Makita parts are easy to get hold of.

Oh and check out folkestone fixings. Power & hand tools | building & plumbing supplies | Free UK Delivery

These guys are a high street shop but also have an on line presence. We buy Makitas at trade prices from a distributor for resale, even then we find FFX selling them for less than we can buy them for - so we often buy from FFX.

Makita pricing is a bit all over the place, they don't have set prices or discounts and often some distributors will get kickback deals - FFX is one of them.

Also keep an eye on Ebay, I'm on the Axminster mailing list and had an email today, heads up for their biggest ever auction starting Monday (26/1 I think) for one week. Could not find anything about what they will be listing, but apparently all will be 99p start and free delivery.

Over the last 20 years I have had tons of De Walt, Bosch and Makita cordless drills. They are all good. 2 batteries are easily enough.
I have never been a fan of cordless circular saws, grinders, jigsaws and planers. Maybe I am old fashioned but plain old 110v gear is good for me.
One cordless I have that has been faultless is a 24v cordless SDS hammer drill from Bosch. Bought in 2004 and still going strong despite the abuse.

I have never been a fan of cordless circular saws, grinders, jigsaws and planers. Maybe I am old fashioned but plain old 110v gear is good for me.
One cordless I have that has been faultless is a 24v cordless SDS hammer drill from Bosch. Bought in 2004 and still going strong despite the abuse.

Cordless grinders are getting better, still murder batteries though.

My son has made a purchase! He passes on his thanks for all the advice, sound and useful as it all was. Having given to much thought, looked ahead at what else he will buy in the coming months and having held and tried several different makes, he plumped for Bosch. The ergonomics suit him better than DeWalt or Makita et al. That was a surprise but all credit to him, having used his combi-drill with high torque and fast drill/drive settings, it is a great choice. We hope.

Bosch 0615990G2Y 18v Combi Drill and Impact Driver Twin Kit 2 x 4.0ah

Once again, many thanks to all.

EDIT: He has already added a Bosch multi tool and a set of Wera impact bits!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom