Cordless Rechargeable Ratchet recommendation .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
Been watching a lot of YouTube videos in the past few weeks. I like the cordless ratchet that so many use . They make short work of nut and bolt removal . But before i go out and buy one i would like to know what would be the best NM ratchet to go for i will need it for just normal work .

I bought the Sealey CP1202KIT, comes with two batteries and a tool bag, really pleased with it.

Been watching a lot of YouTube videos in the past few weeks. I like the cordless ratchet that so many use . They make short work of nut and bolt removal . But before i go out and buy one i would like to know what would be the best NM ratchet to go for i will need it for just normal work .
Oh no, i can't unsee this now! Now i too have urges!

I have the 6 piece Sealey kit too and it's a great job. Ratchet comes as 1 of the 6

As said on the Amazon reviews, this is not a tool for releasing reluctant bolts/nuts as it only puts out quite a low amount of torque, so either once the bolt/nut is cracked, or you're re-installing the bolt/nut, it's good - I have an air one I used to use in my (amateur) mechanicing days. However, if you want it to release for example wheel bolts, it won't do it, you need an impact wrench for that. Avoid the Lidl/Parkside 10.8 or 12V versions - it says it will put out 400Nm breakout but only 100Nm make-up, so I bought one - it won't break wheel bolts correctly torqued to 130Nm! However, Parkside tools can be OK, so the 20V version may be worth looking at - but only if you can limit the make-up torque to about 100Nm and finish make-up with a proper torque wrench!!

A cordless ratchet is a nut/bolt spinner, not a bolt/nut releaser, so make sure it's what you want/need before buying! May be worth spending more on an impact wrench with adjustable torque - mate of mine has a Dewalt that will output wrist-breaking 800Nm breakout for really awkward things like suspension bolts, but can be dialled back for make-up - after which you need a good torque wrench!!

I was thinking on 40 nm only for starting when i put the nut on, and finish with a torque wrench . And for removing the bolt ,or nut , after i brake it open with normal ratchet . . Any thoughts on 40 nm .

I to saw a lot of people using them on youtube too.

I couldn't afford a branded one at the time. So I bought a cheap and nasty Chinese one off ebay. How surprised was I. Its awesome. I use it for everything. It wouldn't stand up to heavy garage use but for the home maintenance jobs and general use I do around the house and car it works perfectly.
I have done a couple of brake jobs with it, change the anti roll bar drop links and used it for general servicing etc... For me it works fine, plenty of grunt.

If or when it breaks I will replace it with the same kind.

Its never going to be as good as a Sealy or other brand, but for what I use it for its perfect.

Just a thought.

Tonygw.. Thats just what i needed to know .The one i saw was a chepo but i only need it to save time when removing and fitting parts on my car . It makes the job easy ,.and faster . What NM did you buy ?

I have a mac tools 1, i am happy with it, i have also used the snap on version and it is very good too, i find the best way to release a tight fixing with it is to start the ratchet then put it on the head once its already running

Like you say Wolfie 1 Best to open up the bolt by pulling on the ratchet .,and then switch on the ratchet to spin it out .
Tonygw i was looking at 45nm in the same idea as yours only a cheap one to start wuith

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 14-02-32 Cordless Electric Angle Wrench Tool 3 8'' 12V 90° 65Nm Right...png
    Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 14-02-32 Cordless Electric Angle Wrench Tool 3 8'' 12V 90° 65Nm Right...png
    437.7 KB · Views: 12
Yeah I think you would be fine with that one. I bought mine with the intention of upgrading at a later stage, but honestly I don't think I will. My needs wouldn't justify the costs. I have done quite a lot of jobs with the "cheapy" and its been great for all of them. It came with two batteries which although small, haven't died on me mid job as yet.

;) 👍 👍

A good friend if mine had a cheapy Amazon one and thinks it's great, uses it all the time. His only problem is he keeps dropping it and it's not very sturdy, he ends up cable tying the battery in

And i bet these are like all battery driven tools .They will need to be kept on charge until used, or they will go flat and then the batteries die .

Recently bought the milwaukee 12v impact stubby driver - for a tiny thing, it packs a hell of a punch, takes wheels off easily.

I bought the Sealey CP1202KIT, comes with two batteries and a tool bag, really pleased with it.
I used one of these every day in the workshop, for 3 years before I wore it out.

I have now replaced it with................the same model again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom