Cornering lights (curve light)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gbrowncls55

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS500 4.7TT 2012,, SL350 09, 996 cab, all current. Gone :CLS 55 E500 W211, 2x M5s and too many 911s
Just read on here that CLS55 or any AMG for that matter do not have cornering (curve light) function even with bi xennon. Is this correct? Certainly mine don't seem to work even though listed on data sheet.

Hi,
My CLS55 has curve light illumination, and I have always doubted mine work, but I have plugged it into my STAR a few times and checked it no codes and they actuate perfectly.
You can also code the fog lights to come on going round corners which I have done but turned them off for the time being as my steering wheel isn't quite straight, and would sometimes leave one of them one. Will be getting the alignment re-done in the next few weeks so I expect I will re-activate them.

The AMG doesn't have the fog lamp version of cornering lights due to bumper and fog lamp lens design but could be spec'd with the Active Curve lighting built into the headlamp where the dipped bean light swivels.

If you don't notice it (it's quite subtle) it may have been disabled. Mine was when I first got the car, dealer reinstated the function with STAR

Andy, if your steering wheel is off centre it will affect the curve illumination operation as well

Thanks for that. Thought mine may have had a front prang and been replaced with non curve as they don't work. All that time spent trying to see if the fog lights were moving when they dont. I'll try and see if the dipped beam moves at all and then ask dealer to activate.

adaptive lights

adaptive lights turn when you turn the steering after 5mph, so you wont see anything if standstill. It will be the main bean xenon lamp that moves, not the foglight.

as far as I know it was an option on the CLS as it was also an option on the w211

Thought it was only the cars equipped with ILS that curved the lights when cornering??

The fog lights on mine light when wheel is turned tho and mines not got ILS.

ILS is recent models, we're talking 2005 tech here :)

ILS is recent models, we're talking 2005 tech here :)
According to my 2006 owner's manual; special front foglamps act as cornering lights. When cornering, they light up the area of the road into which you are turning.

It does require you to have bi-xenon lights and the automatic lighting sensor, but that's about it; no pointing the headlights, it just turns on the front fogs when you indicate and/or turn the wheel.

According to my 2006 owner's manual; special front foglamps act as cornering lights. When cornering, they light up the area of the road into which you are turning.

It does require you to have bi-xenon lights and the automatic lighting sensor, but that's about it; no pointing the headlights, it just turns on the front fogs when you indicate and/or turn the wheel.[/QUOTE

my 2005 w203 had the special fog lamps (I retrofitted them) coded to act as cornering lamps.
My 2005 CLS55 has the Active Curve headlamps with the swivelling bi-xenon dipped/main beam.

My 2006 owners manual says the same, but I don't believe its true for the AMG models. The manual you get is the generic CLS one for the most part. As said before on this thread AMGs sseem to only have the option of the swiveling xennon dipped beam despite what it says on data sheet or in the manual. Is here a specific code for the dipped beam curve option? If anyone has anything else....

My 2006 owners manual says the same, but I don't believe its true for the AMG models. The manual you get is the generic CLS one for the most part. As said before on this thread AMGs sseem to only have the option of the swiveling xennon dipped beam despite what it says on data sheet or in the manual. Is here a specific code for the dipped beam curve option? If anyone has anything else....

Isn't swivel the same as curve in the context of your description? The curving of the beam is achieved by swivelling the headlamp bulb.

Cornering lights being different, illuminating the kerbside using fog lights.

Cornering lights using the foglamps is and on-off thing (although in practice the fog lamp will 'fade' out, not suddenly switch off) and also operate when using the turn indicators at speeds below 30kph. Also the fog lamp that illuminates is reversed when, erm, reversing, so you can check swing clearance on the off-side front corner.

Curve Illumination, via the dipped beam is proportional to the steering angle and vehicle speed (above a threshold of ~10kph), it does not function in conjunction with the turn indicators

Last edited:

SA Code 616 is for BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE

That's the code I've got on mine, but the headlights don't move as far as I can tell.

I appreciate that it might be different for the OP, but my manual does also cover AMG models and makes no comment that they are different.

Have you checked for a much smaller, angled bulb? Angled as such, that you wouldn't normally spot it

OK let's see if I have this correct then I will leave you all alone.
Cornering lights use special fog lamps which turn with steering or indicators in the direction of turn. These are available with bi xennon lights and are I think identified by oval instead of round fogs. This option is NOT available on AMG CLS55 Cars.
Curve light uses the dipped beam to swivel slightly to get a better view of the corner ahead at speeds over 5mph. This IS available on CLS55. In addition CLS55s can be programmed to just switch the fog lights on when turning or indicating to get a better view of the kerb, but no movement of light.
One final question....are all cls55 with xennon bi xennon or are there two types of headlight using xennon?

Pretty sure they'll be bi-xenon.

Also pretty sure that cornering lights were available with bi-xenons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom