Cornering lights unavailable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alps

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E63s s213 2019, E55 2004 Silver-SOLD, E63 w212 Weistec AMG-SOLD, E55 2004-SOLD, C36 1997-SOLD
anyone seen this message pop up?

it came on my cluster as a malfunction a few days ago. its got to do with the Avtive\Curve\Cornering xenon headlights on my w211

i hear it could be one of the following

1. Chaffed wire in headlight touching metal, there is a MB tech paper to fix this
2. Motor broken in headlight, i know there is a part for another car available which fits (not listed for w211 though) just need to find out the part number
3. small control unit.

any other possibilities ?

I will put it on STAR over the next week which should give me a better idea and will post up the error codes.

ok, STAR is showing

90B2 - component E2m2 (Right dynamic curve illumination motor) or the lead is faulty.

any pointers appreciated

I had the active light fault message appear on my E280 and MB changed out the entire LH headlanp unit. That was under warranty though so maybe there is a cheaper fix than a complete swap out?

You should be able to verify this relatively easily. It is easy to see the cornering lights moving as you turn the steering. The beam patterns move and go cross-eyes one way then the other as you turn the steering from one side to the other. The kerb 'flicks' help as they are the easiest bit to see.

My guess is that you will see the passenger's side one move, but not the driver's side. At least it's the right side one, which is the least useful of the two.

First option would be to ensure there are no loose wires or connectors. Have you (or anyone else) been near the back of the headlamp units recently? It;s fiddly under there, but you should be able to see if everything looks secure or not. If it all looks OK, then you may be looking at a new actuator motor, or headlamp unit.

Ok today i unplugged the light, plugged back in, still no good, light was facing oncoming traffic although still pointing downwards so not too much of a prob, just for my vision.

plugged in star and carried out the force left and right on the corning light function and the motor kind of made a loud wirring sound and came back to life, all works good again, passes all the tests and no more irritating dash error!, i will still stay on the hunt for a broken UK light in case it goes again.

motor might have slipped a cog and got stuck
thanks for all the comments and help so far tho!

Two days later the error re-appereared !

still on the search for a replacement (or parts) choice so far is a new hella unit from ECP @ £418 or a 2nd hand one for £275.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom