Cornish drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdLP640

Car
2012 Mercedes C220 CDI, 2019 Mercedes C63S, Porsche 996 Turbo,
Before I start "attacking" Cornish drivers, I'd like to wish you all a happy new year.

Right, anyway... for some reason, Cornish drivers tend to be the absolute worst in the UK. I've noticed a lot of them tend to be useless at parking hence my lovely wake up surprise come the 30th after someone decided to leave a lovely scratch on the front bumper of my car, which now has blue markings on. That really pissed me off as there is no courtesy or a simple note left saying "sorry I'm shit at parking and couldn't see your big white car" I'm not bitter about it, much. I do think Cornish drivers are just outright dangerous in terms of driving in general.

A lack of indication is a big problem down here as well when it comes to using a roundabout correctly, not to mention an inconsistent level of speed, e.g. going 40 through a 30 and 30-40 in a 60... I'm sure most of you are thinking well... what's new, this stuff happens all the time. No, Cornwall is particularly bad, even Floridian drivers are better than the Cornish and that is saying a lot. Now maybe in my simple little mind, I think that it takes less than 2 seconds to flick an indicator, If you can't be bothered to do that then you can't be bothered to drive properly, and if you can't be bothered to drive you aren't going to be good at it. Oh, not aiming at Mercs as Cornwall is like a 3rd world country so most local Cornish tend to drive old clapped out BMW's and not fancy Mercs.

Enjoy

I have a home in Cornwall and the worst time to drive is during school holidays when tourists are out and about.
Personally I find that locals are quite laid back and do not rush.
'Dreckly' is a local term and means a leisurely manana.
Just my take of course.
Jim

Many of the locals are not that impressed by "outsiders" or normally called tourists, however without the "outsiders" Cornwall would not be in a good position.

I've found that the biggest problem drivers that I see are miserable old grunters, I've lost count of the separate occasions I've witnessed lately. Those I remember:

• Just today, old fella swerving towards the wife and I as pedestrians on a narrow lane, he had room to move or, even, pause while we passed
  • Another one swerving at me for positioning to turn right when he was approaching
  • Driving at me for being in the way
  • Stopping in front of me trying to cross the road in the pissing rain
  • Pulling into parking spaces that I was waiting for with indicators on
  • Making me reverse back 100 metres when they only had to reverse 2 metres to let me pass
  • In the situation above flicking her fingers dismissively to signal that I need to move back
I've learned to give way to the old spunkers now and give them a cheery wave which seems to upset them more, if they insist on giving me verbals I respond with the fingers on lips shushing thing which I picked up in nursery school.

Incidentally I'm a bit sorry that I didn't drag the guy from the first point out of his car today and have a few words with him.

Summary:

Old people in cars feel invincible and able to show their aggression without consequences.

I've found that the biggest problem drivers that I see are miserable old grunters, I've lost count of the separate occasions I've witnessed lately. Those I remember:

• Just today, old fella swerving towards the wife and I as pedestrians on a narrow lane, he had room to move or, even, pause while we passed
  • Another one swerving at me for positioning to turn right when he was approaching
  • Making me reverse back 100 metres when they only had to reverse 2 metres to let me pass
  • In the situation above flicking her fingers dismissively to signal that I need to move back
I've learned to give way to the old spunkers now and give them a cheery wave which seems to upset them more, if they insist on giving me verbals I respond with the fingers on lips shushing thing which I picked up in nursery school.

Incidentally I'm a bit sorry that I didn't drag the guy from the first point out of his car today and have a few words with him.

Summary:

Old people in cars feel invincible and able to show their aggression without consequences.

• Stopping in front of me trying to cross the road in the pissing rain.
Better than not stopping. :dk:

Many of the locals are not that impressed by "outsiders" or normally called tourists, however without the "outsiders" Cornwall would not be in a good position.

In 1990 I was stationed at RAF Portreath, on the Cornwall coast near Redruth. If I drove my Metro 1.3 S with its local plate, the locals would let me out of junctions with a cheery wave, but if I was driving my Ford Capri, with its Essex registration, I would get cut up all the time, no-one would ever let me out of a junction, and you could hear them muttering "Bl**dy tourist" under their breath!!

• Stopping in front of me trying to cross the road in the pissing rain.
Better than not stopping. :dk:

Not when I am standing at the kerb waiting to cross in the pissing rain and the old grunters just stop in front of me, selfish old gits.

Not when I am standing at the kerb waiting to cross in the pissing rain and the old grunters just stop in front of me, selfish old gits.

ahhhhh. I assumed you meant the said grunter was in a vehicle and they stopped to let you cross.

Don't forget that a "Cornish" mile is much longer than the standard mile. For some reason when you find a signpost stating say 4 miles to a destination it could easily be double that! Some of the smaller narrower country lanes are certainly not straight.

I've found that the biggest problem drivers that I see are miserable old grunters.
I've learned to give way to the old spunkers now and give them a cheery wave which seems to upset them more, if they insist on giving me verbals I respond with the fingers on lips shushing thing which I picked up in nursery.

One day, if you keep your nose clean you too coul be an "Old Spunker," you sound as if you already have a few of the necessary qualifications. :confused:

I have a home in Cornwall and the worst time to drive is during school holidays when tourists are out and about.
Personally I find that locals are quite laid back and do not rush.
'Dreckly' is a local term and means a leisurely manana.
Just my take of course.
Jim

Can you have more than one home?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've learned to give way to the old spunkers now and give them a cheery wave which seems to upset them more, if they insist on giving me verbals I respond with the fingers on lips shushing thing which I picked up in nursery school. Incidentally I'm a bit sorry that I didn't drag the guy from the first point out of his car today and have a few words with him.

Summary: Old people in cars feel invincible and able to show their aggression without consequences.

You sound pretty much of a miserable grunter yourself...

So far as your last two points are concerned, it may be that the lady concerned was/is less than confident of her reversing skills, and all other things being equal, a gentleman would normally give way to a lady anyway, no? That said, though, in the same situation, when it is plainly the case that it is much more reasonable for the other driver to reverse, or when I have right of way and the other driver is plainly in the wrong, I simply turn off my engine, lean back in my seat and fold my arms. It's never failed me yet... :D

You sound pretty much of a miserable grunter yourself...

So far as your last two points are concerned, it may be that the lady concerned was/is less than confident of her reversing skills, and all other things being equal, a gentleman would normally give way to a lady anyway, no? That said, though, in the same situation, when it is plainly the case that it is much more reasonable for the other driver to reverse, or when I have right of way and the other driver is plainly in the wrong, I simply turn off my engine, lean back in my seat and fold my arms. It's never failed me yet... :D

Hold on a minute.

Are you suggesting that, as a bloke, I should make allowances for the little lady?
I'm not so sure about this, despite the fact that I've already stated that I nearly always reverse and get on with my day, women are as physically capable of driving as men.

As a gentleman: Yes. As a bloke: up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom