Cornwall in August – not the best idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marvin16x

Car
1997 C280T
Hi everyone,

me and my friend Felix are in desperate need of another UK road trip and since we've got quite fond of the South last year we thought visiting the South West would be a perfect idea for our next trip.
Now the thing is, we won't be able to leave earlier (nor later), so August it shall be again. It is said, however, that Cornwall is incredibly crammed at this time.
My questions now: Is it really that bad? What would you do? Save it for another time? What else then?

I'd really love to stick to the South this time which would mean less time in the car, more time in the sun & water and less overall costs.
But I can't be bothered having to deal with traffic jams on country roads and crowded places everywhere. So Ireland, perhaps ...? :eek: Or more of Wales (especially the southern part)?

Cheers
Marvin

My parents lived in Cornwall for 15 years. I loved going down but I would never ever go in August, everywhere is packed, the roads are jammed solid and prices are much higher.

If you go in August or any summer month then try and avoid travelling down on a weekend as the roads are busy then. Mid week its not too bad but busy.

I love Cornwall so much I'd go any time of the year given the opportunity.

2.1602761.jpg

In my opinion South Wales would be a better option at that time of year year. M4 gets busy but nothing like as bad as roads in South West.

Cornwall is fabulous but in August i have been to west and north Wales and found it much quieter, but just as beautiful.

Hi Marvin, you can always come to Devon, the beaches on the North coast are brilliant and it's never overcrowded. Croyde, Putsborough, Wollocombe and Braunton to name a few. If you like surfing it's perfect and the water and beaches are clean. There is always a camp site to be had. If you go you will pass my door and your very welcome to call in for something to eat. Mrs. 203 is always pleased to speak her native language.

Last edited:
We have an open invite to stay with friends at Boscastle. Is ther a "good" time to accept their invite?

Druk said:
This wasn't taken yesterday. Most of these 'vans will now be hosting chickens somewhere. ;) .

We call 'em Grockle sheds down 'ere! :)

Marvin16x said:
Hi everyone, me and my friend Felix are in desperate need of another UK road trip and since we've got quite fond of the South last year we thought visiting the South West would be a perfect idea for our next trip. Now the thing is, we won't be able to leave earlier (nor later), so August it shall be again. It is said, however, that Cornwall is incredibly crammed at this time. My questions now: Is it really that bad? What would you do? Save it for another time? What else then? I'd really love to stick to the South this time which would mean less time in the car, more time in the sun & water and less overall costs. But I can't be bothered having to deal with traffic jams on country roads and crowded places everywhere. So Ireland, perhaps ...? :eek: Or more of Wales (especially the southern part)? Cheers Marvin

Ireland is a very good call. Some great driving roads, and they are quiet.

Charles Morgan said:
My parents lived in Cornwall for 15 years. I loved going down but I would never ever go in August, everywhere is packed, the roads are jammed solid and prices are much higher.

And standards also lower....

We go to Cornwall most years, we always avoid weekend travelling and usually travel on a Thursday. The roads have been much improved over the last few years. If you like a beach, Hayle beach is a few miles long and there is always space, except when the tide's in :D. We steer clear of places like Newquay, St Ives and Carbis Bay, they are usually rammed. If you are a member of National Trust, there is some really good houses in Cornwall, go, you'll love it.

Piff said:
We have an open invite to stay with friends at Boscastle. Is ther a "good" time to accept their invite?

Not when it's raining heavily

We go to Cornwall most years, we always avoid weekend travelling and usually travel on a Thursday. The roads have been much improved over the last few years. If you like a beach, Hayle beach is a few miles long and there is always space, except when the tide's in :D. We steer clear of places like Newquay, St Ives and Carbis Bay, they are usually rammed. If you are a member of National Trust, there is some really good houses in Cornwall, go, you'll love it.

Seconded. Try and avoid travel on Friday afternoons or Saturdays
There are also some good National Trust car parks near the coast.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Are Dorset and Somerset just as crowded or is it mainly Cornwall that keeps attracting all those people?
I reckon a nice and reasonable route would be Dover -> Dorset -> Somerset -> Cotswolds -> South Wales and back :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom