Coronavirus: Army veteran, 99, 'smashes' £500k NHS target!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Text source BBC.

A 99-year-old army veteran who has joined the fundraising fight against Covid-19 has "smashed" his £500,000 target.

Tom Moore aims to complete 100 laps of his Bedfordshire garden by Thursday, walking with the aid of a frame.

He originally hoped to raise £1,000 for NHS Charities Together, to thank "magnificent" staff after recent treatment for a broken hip and cancer.

Read more HERE.

Good man!

Awesome response. Well done him. :)

£12M, from over 600,000 people so far... Amazing.

£12M is an amazing amount and I have a lot of admiration for the gentleman, but let's not forget that we, as a tax paying nation, give the nhs over £14M each and every hour. It does amuse me when there are calls on social media for a "band aid" style event to stop the nhs being starved of funds. I think most purple don't realise how much the nhs costs the country.

£12M is an amazing amount and I have a lot of admiration for the gentleman, but let's not forget that we, as a tax paying nation, give the nhs over £14M each and every hour. It does amuse me when there are calls on social media for a "band aid" style event to stop the nhs being starved of funds. I think most purple don't realise how much the nhs costs the country.
Have to agree. It is nice that people have got on board (he went viral as opposed to doing anything particularly different)...but what will £12m get? If he does not, with his team (?) decide how it is to be used then it will just disappear.

Regardless of what £12m will get, it’s better going into the pot than not at all.
I agree 100% that any extra money going into the nhs is good, I was trying to highlight the amount of people who think that £12M is going to make a huge difference to the nhs budget.

Last edited:
If it was use for a specific purpose, that would make it more symbolic and leave it's (and the Captain's) footprint here.something effective and tangible and potentially longer lasting.

Magnificent effort and result though, all credit to him and those , including my household, who paid up

I heard of the latest milestone ££ on the radio late last night , what a true hero this gent is....but to echo what others have said on here, when this is all over the NHS needs to be scrutinised even closer. We are all fully aware of the hard work (more like dedication) that those at the 'bottom' of the NHS, (wrong word I know) put in , and they are to be thanked and applauded...and paid more.

But, an organisation that appears to have gotten so big as to need more than 240 directors each on salaries above £100K , and a few on nearly £200K must be re vamped from the top down especially as it makes no money of it's own. It might be easy to say that as it is such a complicated beast it needs the 'creme de la creme' of 'top bananas' to keep it going as it has around 1.5/7 Million employees.

I know I am not comparing eggs with eggs but Walmart with 2.1 million employees has 20 directors worldwide and McDonald's (2.1 million employees) has around 13 directors worldwide. The complexity of what the NHS has to do is obviously far , far more complicated than selling groceries or burgers, but 240 directors in one organisation base in one country ? seems excessive to me. I can't help but thinking if the NHS had to either break even or show a profit it would have far less directors and more front line staff.

The amount raised is Amazing. and I would support another Band Aid Event for the NHS in the future!

Just please ensure that BOB effing Geldof will NOT be Involved!:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom