Correct Battery charge procedure.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyRiviera

Car
C220 cdi Avantgarde 2006
Hi all, i have a query about charging my Mercedes C220 cdi Avantgarde 56 plate battery. I want to trickle charge it, do i remove the negative terminal or attach positive first then negative onto ground area and then switch charger on leaving battery leads in place? Half the people ive asked say remove the negative, half say dont bother.
Many thanks.

Which charger are you using?
When I used my CTEK I simply attached the leads to the correct terminals and then connected the charger to the mains supply. I left the battery in the car and connected.

Likewise, whether I'm connecting the SLK to the trickle charger in her garage or the S204 to the smart charger (the S204 lives outside so needs an occasional full charge due to lack of use).

Which charger are you using?
When I used my CTEK I simply attached the leads to the correct terminals and then connected the charger to the mains supply. I left the battery in the car and connected.
Many thanks. Im wondering what the rationale is in removing the negative lead. Im using a smart trickle charger.

Likewise, whether I'm connecting the SLK to the trickle charger in her garage or the S204 to the smart charger (the S204 lives outside so needs an occasional full charge due to lack of use).
Many thanks Chrishazle. If your doing that with 2 cars with no problems then i think i will.

Hi all, i have a query about charging my Mercedes C220 cdi Avantgarde 56 plate battery. I want to trickle charge it, do i remove the negative terminal or attach positive first then negative onto ground area and then switch charger on leaving battery leads in place? Half the people ive asked say remove the negative, half say dont bother.
Many thanks.
If you remove the negative lead, then the power supply to the cars electronics dies, there is residual memory etc for radio stations and ECU learning but that will fade quickly (24 hours?). A cTek / trickle charger won’t hurt the cars electronics and charges the battery slowly - more of a maintenance charge than a full on battery charge.

so connect away, and don’t disconnect the negative lead. 🤓

If you remove the negative lead, then the power supply to the cars electronics dies, there is residual memory etc for radio stations and ECU learning but that will fade quickly (24 hours?). A cTek / trickle charger won’t hurt the cars electronics and charges the battery slowly - more of a maintenance charge than a full on battery charge.

so connect away, and don’t disconnect the negative lead. 🤓
Many thanks. Im reasurred.

Many thanks Chrishazle. If your doing that with 2 cars with no problems then i think i will.
Not just 2 cars, I did this for best part of 20 years with my Porsche 968's before I swopped the 968 cab for the SLK, have had the S204 since March 2012 and did the same with its predeccessor S203 C270 for a couple of years!

See post #13 in the thread below:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom