Correct battery for 209 CLK220 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grahamcol

Car
2007 CLK 220 and 2001 SLK230
This may sound silly but there seems to be confusion and discrepancy about which is the correct battery for my car. Some sites say 019 whereas others say 096. I'm fairly sure it's 096 as the current (original) battery is 74 amp hour and the 019 type is physically larger with greater capacity. So, in essence I'd like to order a Varta Silver Dynamic E44 (096) from Tanya batteries but need to know it'll fit. Their own website shows 019 for my car which l feel is wrong.
Can anyone with a 209 confirm that the 096 is the correct battery please.

Well I've now established that what l need is a Varta E38 Silver Dynamic 096/100 and l'm about to order one. However one (silly?) question. Looking at pictures of this and other Varta and Bosch batteries it seems they do not have lifting handles like my current battery does. Unless the handle is incorporated into the top assembly? It's important to me to have this as without a handle it's going to be very difficult to install (and subsequently remove) due to limited access in the bulkhead area where the battery sits.
Can anyone advise on this please?

I pulled up a photo of that battery and it does have a handle built in to the top moulding.

Have you tried MB for a price? In my experience they are very well priced and you may just be pleasantly surprised.

Have you tried MB for a price? In my experience they are very well priced and you may just be pleasantly surprised.
I was going to do this but then remembered Tayna batteries. Their prices are great and they deliver next day so l placed my order earlier today. Thanks anyway.

Tayna are usually hard to beat for price and service.
When I changed the battery in my 209 CLK I discovered they left the factory with either of two batteries depending on how many electrical accessories the car was built with. Just be aware that the mounting plate that holds the battery into the tray is different, so if you go for a different size you'll need to get a different plate. Just measure the dimensions of your battery against the Tayna site and get like for like.

Thanks rf065. The dimensions of my existing battery seem to be identical to the Varta E38 l've already ordered. That's the reason l went for it.

Regarding fitting the battery, did you know you can open the bonnet till it's completely vertical, there's a square stud half way up the nearside gas strut, makes a lot of things easier. :banana:

Sorry, teaching my granny to suck eggs :fail:

No need to apologise. Your tip was well meant and l expect a lot of people don't know about the Mercedes bonnet service position.

We alwayw fit genuine batteries. They Last longer, they seem to eliminate some electrical gremlins and they fit well.

I replace them often and some have been 10+ years old. On a CL the other day one was 15 years old!!

Yes indeed. I believe the battery l'm replacing is the original. Not bad for a 13 year old car.

Does anyone have the part number for the bigger battery tray ? The smaller one is A2036200218 but I can't find the bigger one :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom