Correct height front springs for W126

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ironduke

Car
W126 500 SEC
My recently purchased 500 SE has recently had new front shocks and springs, which is nice.

However the springs can't be the right ones (compared to lots of other 126's which i've looked at to check!) as the height is WAY too high, I can get my fist in the gap with ease.

Where is the best place to get springs which WILL be the correct size? indeed a bit lower if anything would be good. Thanks :)

Have you checked the spring pads (rubber shims) there are different thicknesses?

Hello Alex! :)

Im sure Jay or one of the other 126 gurus will have a better answer....

Have you checked the spring pads (rubber shims) there are different thicknesses?

Hello Alex! :)

Im sure Jay or one of the other 126 gurus will have a better answer....

Hi! :) I did think maybe shims but it's a LOT, like a Range Rover! I know they ride high anyway and it's got 14" Mexican Hats but even so.... I'll get a piccy up...

Attachments

• merc4.JPG
    merc4.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 12
Mine was the same, we cut a coil off the springs. Then it was too low! Your best bet is the dealer, they will tot up the points and calculate exactly which springs you need. Not very expensive either.

Any other route is likely to get the wrong spring rate.

I often wonder how they get so high, it cant be right. Could the springs uncoil a little over time or something? Mine looked so silly, the ones you see in literature, some are a little high, some not. But nothing like mine, lol.

Mine was the same, we cut a coil off the springs. Then it was too low! Your best bet is the dealer, they will tot up the points and calculate exactly which springs you need. Not very expensive either.

Any other route is likely to get the wrong spring rate.

I often wonder how they get so high, it cant be right. Could the springs uncoil a little over time or something? Mine looked so silly, the ones you see in literature, some are a little high, some not. But nothing like mine, lol.

Worse than mine lol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom