Correct running temperature 209 CLK 240 V6 Petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan-mb

Car
E350 CDI coupe, CLS 320 CDI
So today I had a nice 6 hour 300 mile round trip to north Wales to take the dog to the beach (I was bored). Motorway speeds and occasional spirited driving ;) the engine temp never went above 80-84 I have recently had a new oil cooler fitted in the rad. I can't remember what it used to run at on long runs as i don't normally use the CLK on these. P.S. I can't find my manual which i think did have the ideal running temp in it. Any ideas what it is meant to be running at?

Thanks in advance

That sounds about right to me. - The manual is a little vague; it says that it's normal for the temperature to get as high as 120 degrees when you're pushing hard, but if it exceeds 130, that's a problem.

Thanks Pobody, Ive never had any hit 100 let alone more, obviously I'm not driving hard enough!

Are we talking about coolant temperature or oil temperature? Isn't the dial in the dash the coolant temp?

So today I had a nice 6 hour 300 mile round trip to north Wales to take the dog to the beach (I was bored). Motorway speeds and occasional spirited driving ;) the engine temp never went above 80-84 I have recently had a new oil cooler fitted in the rad. I can't remember what it used to run at on long runs as i don't normally use the CLK on these. P.S. I can't find my manual which i think did have the ideal running temp in it. Any ideas what it is meant to be running at?

Thanks in advance

Hi my CLK sits about the same

Are we talking about coolant temperature or oil temperature? Isn't the dial in the dash the coolant temp?
Unless you've got an AMG model, coolant temperature is all you get. - It's a bar rather than a dial; looks much like the fuel gauge.

As I thought, so the OP's gauge is coolant temperature, which shouldn't ever get as high as 130c like someone said should it?

Mine used to struggle to get up to temperature, but I replace the thermostat and it gets up to temp properly now.

I rather think that's what the manual is saying; if you hit 130 degrees, the car is overheating. However it can hit 120 degrees under heavy load, and that's still considered acceptable.

Mines between 80-90 seen 100 once

Last edited:
All internal combustion engines should run the nearest to boiling point as possible for correct performance less wear and fuel economy. Either way within reason then it will suffer.

So 100 C on the guage is where it should run but because the radiator is under pressure because of the pressure rated cap this puts up the actual boiling point to around 133 C which is the danger point for a blown head gasket.

Anything up to 98 degrees is fine, more than that you have a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom