Correct size alloys for e320 w124 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

michaelk3289

Car
2007 W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde
Hi there everyone

Today i have taken my 15" AMG alloys off the beast (w124), (its a long and painful story)

why then i asked myself am i getting a ticking noise from the original wheels, (weights tapping brake calipers i think)

my lack of mercedes knowledge brain believes that the wheels seem to small
but surly the car was supplied with the standard 15" 15 hole alloys

No?:wallbash: help please

Your car should have 8 holes not 15

not sure bout the ticking noise but 15's are sufficiant. are you sure your rims havnt got low profile tyres on them? that would dramatically alter the apperence of the wheels.

IMAGE_097.jpg

You answered your own question. The weights are in the wrong place. Try swapping the wheels front to back to see if they clear the rear callipers.

ahh i see
images

hi there guys, i am running 195 65 15 on the rims, these were on the car when i bought it, i aint good a maths but the defo not 8 hole, no they defo 15 hole
Your tyre size is correct for the standard 15 inch wheels be they 8 or 15 hole. I run the same size on mine with the weights on the inner surface with no problems. Are you sure there isnt a nail or screw lodged in the tyre tread as this could give you these symptoms?

What's the offset? You'll find it by looking on the rear face of the wheel and it will be the letter E or ET followed by a number.

Is the ticking noise coming from all 4 wheels, or just the back?

My w124 developed a similiar noise which turned out be one of the parking brake shoes inside the rear brake disk making contact with the wheel bolts. The friction lining had detached from the brake shoe. Pretty straight forward to replace, if a bit fiddly.

It could be worth checking if the noise is from the back wheels only.

did you use the bolts for the AMG wheels when you put on the 8 hole wheels.

perhaps those bolts are too long and are fouling the rear brake assembly.

remove wheel and see if there is now a shiny area where the long bolts may have gone too far through and touched.

Very much doubt it David as I think the same bolts are used for his 15 hole
or even for the cengius that Goldie had on
OP:If it's any help,I could lend you a set of 8 hole alloys if you want to check

The bolts for the 8 hole are shorter than for the 15 hole. A friend had the same issue when he swapped his wheels. Not sure about the bolts for the AMG version.
I have also had the disintegrating parking brake shoes but these made a very loud noise that was obviously at the rear. Its worth checking the parking brake shoes in any case as they are frequently neglected

hi guys

the wheels i have on the car and the ones which are ticking are the 15 hole 15", i replaced these for a few days with 15" AMG'S which needed 10 mm spacers either side at the front, the ticking only started once i had the old (15 hole) back on

i too thought it might be the wheel nuts/bolt but i checked and they seem the same size, although if the bolts are anything like the rest of the car they are probably the incorrect size,

thanks for all your info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom