Correct tool for joining together timing chain on M110 engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
My friend Simeon has a 280GE in for engine work and he asks if I could help find the correct MB tool. The timing chain is being split and there is an MB tool to rejoin the chain, but his local dealership isn't able to help - any suggestions welcome, he kindly hosted the Bicester gtg last spring and will be doing so again next year.

If the MB tool proves to be elusive, bikes use 'soft' links (a softer material exists at the pin ends which is formed ie, displaced in the manner of a rivet) and there are tools for the purpose.
For cam chains - usually narrow Simplex, and for final drive chains (closer in width to a Duplex). This assumes Simeon has a 'soft' link at his disposal.

I know of a Merc techie who would use nothing other than the correct riveting tool but many years ago I did the chain on my M110 and used the supplied spring link then 20 odd thousand miles later sold the engine with the chain still intact. Some will say the spring link is only for feeding the chain round but this linky ^ seems to disprove that.

However...a Google search throws up this...http://gm-tools.co.uk/367,chain-link-breaker-riveting-tool-set-mercedes-bmw.html

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-...TTER-TOOLS-BUY-RENT-not-VSE4801-/321680582645

who are in Camberley and also rent out. Phone:01276409325 Email:[email protected]

Last edited:
Super - passed all this on to Mr Cattle who is most grateful, thank you.

In my experience the MB dealer parts dept will not sell you an MB tool. A new timing chain will come with a master link and all you need is a pair of pliers.

You might want to try Mercedes source on YouTube and search for a video of timing change replacement for M110 in his channel or try his website. He makes bespoke custom tools for MBs and is a very knowledgeable person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom