Correct tyre size for my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dukey28

Car
C220 AMG Coupe W204, Range Rover
Ok so i put some air in my tyres last week and when opening the fuel door to find out tyre pressures i noticed that the tyres size that was on the sticker was different to what i had on the car...

It says that i should have 255 tyres on but on the back i have 245 and on the front 235...

I have a 2015 C220 AMG Coupe.

Any ideas?

Thanks

what size rims

As i thought, wrong tyre spec on front and rear... Thanks it should have 255/35 R18 rear and 225/40 R18 front. Whats with the different profile? Is it just for the looks so the tyre wall looks the same heigh due to the tyre widths being diffrent front and back? I can understand the wider tyre at the back with it being a rear wheel drive, with a 245 on at the moment, lets just say its easy to get a drift going, especially in the wet (not that i tried on purpose, honest)!

As i thought, wrong tyre spec on front and rear... Thanks it should have 255/35 R18 rear and 225/40 R18 front. Whats with the different profile? Is it just for the looks so the tyre wall looks the same heigh due to the tyre widths being diffrent front and back? I can understand the wider tyre at the back with it being a rear wheel drive, with a 245 on at the moment, lets just say its easy to get a drift going, especially in the wet (not that i tried on purpose, honest)!
What’s the full tyre size as written on the tyre, ie including the profile?

Some people choose to fit different size tyres based upon cost, availability or sometimes because they believe it will improve performance. Other times it’s an error.

If your ESP/ABS is performing as it should with these tyres fitted, then the other obvious complication is whether you would be covered in the event of an insurance claim.

Might be worth checking with your insurer now.

Different profile is to keep the rolling radius correct for the wheels across the various sizes. This means the speedo and other sensors can be standardised across the range regardless of the OEM tyre option taken in 17/18/19/20 rim sizes. Having the wrong width to profile sizes for the rim size will throw out the speedo etc. Not by enough to worry about from your sizes though.

I'd be concerned if you find it easy to get a drift if you have the traction control on. What tyres have you put on it?

Different profile is to keep the rolling radius correct for the wheels across the various sizes. This means the speedo and other sensors can be standardised across the range regardless of the OEM tyre option taken in 17/18/19/20 rim sizes. Having the wrong width to profile sizes for the rim size will throw out the speedo etc. Not by enough to worry about from your sizes though.

I'd be concerned if you find it easy to get a drift if you have the traction control on. What tyres have you put on it?

Its not what ive put on, its what came when i bought from the dealers, but the tyres that are on arent for the spec of the AMG alloys i have on. I With regards to what tyres, different brands ive never heard of them which is why i think they are budget crap...

Not the best scenario then. Choice is either bite the bullet and replace them all with something else, or live with them for now and then change.

Different car, but same wheels, I have put Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on mine as upper mid range tyres and they are working well.

Get the correct size tyres preferably Goodyear F1 as3. You will notice a serious difference in comfort and quietness if you choose Goodyear and the tyres will be the correct spec for your wheels.

if you can drift with traction control and a 245 section tyre, I'm not sure a 255 section will make that much difference. But I am not a driving god - the last time I had the back out, I ended up with rouched leather on the seats...

if you can drift with traction control and a 245 section tyre, I'm not sure a 255 section will make that much difference. But I am not a driving god - the last time I had the back out, I ended up with rouched leather on the seats...

I mean its not that im driving round a roundabout as i normally would and out pops the back end but when i want to its easy to do, power down on the accelerator and a flick of the steering wheel and the back is out traction control obviously tries to fight it and eventually wins but it does come out easier than i would have thought, its probably due to the brand of tyre more than anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom