Corroded alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kamsingh

Hey,

Ive had these new wheels for about 1 year now, and they have already started to corrode, only the rear ones funnily. When i run my fingers over the marks, there doesnt seem to be any raised or pitting areas, infact its still smooth.

Pics below:-

Any ideas on how to remove this?

Attachments

• 31072009021.jpg
    31072009021.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 31072009022.jpg
    31072009022.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 31072009023.jpg
    31072009023.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 126
Are they replica wheels?

If the corrosion is from underneath the lacquer then it means stripping this layer off and polishing out the marks. To do this properly probably requires a professional.

Might be worth showing the pictures to where you bought the wheels from, despite being 12 months old you may get some good will.

As far as i know they are real wheels, however they came with the car! So showing the wheels to anyone cant really happen.
When i feel over the white corrosion, it still seems very smooth and no different to any other part of the wheel, so does feel as if it isnt the surface corroding!

Is there any chemicals/ substances i can use to remove this?

Thanks Kam

It looks like a laqcuered finish, rather than painted. If that is the case, it is yet another example of how vulnerable this finish is, as most refurbishers will confirm. A non-main dealer I was speaking to yesterday said that MBs seemed to be particularly prone to this failure. My E320 Coupé had it when I bought it at less than four years old; I had it redone and it failed again in less than three years.

The cure is to have the wheels stripped and painted. I know of no other durable repair technique.

If it's not a lacquered finish, there may be another solution.

How much would it cost to get it stripped and painted? because atm its tottaly destroying the look of my car!

Kam

They are reps. Look at the "G" on the AMG badge.

The laquer has peeled off them but I think they can be refurbed back to new for about £35-£40 a wheel.

Thanks.

Diamond cut finish is £75 + VAT - you could have them painted for a lot less. £35 is a little optimistic even for a smart repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom