Corroded Brakes

• Thread starter Deleted member 161156
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 161156

If a company sells you a car and they carry out the MOT, would you expect them to fix an advisory that was already an advisory the year before? Eg; 2018 - Advisory “Brake pipe corroded covered in grease” which states 3 different areas, and before selling me the car they carried out the MOT, and put the exact same advisory for 2019 which has resulted in the MOT failing on this specific problem? I understand it’s ‘advised’ but the garage I took it to for a MOT deemed this unsafe to drive and should of been fixed before giving me the car.

If they offered me £200 as a “good will gesture”, towards getting the car fixed, which is no where near how much it’s going to cost for me to fix this problem, and to “close the case” I opened, are they bribing me because they are worried I can take this further? Thanks

Pipes can be ok 1 year , advisory

And rotten the next , fail .

Id take the £200 and move on with life .

Don't they use copper pipes anymore?
Steel pipes will rust.
Undercoating wax oil is your best friend before it begins rusting ;)

If a company sells you a car and they carry out the MOT, would you expect them to fix an advisory that was already an advisory the year before? Eg; 2018 - Advisory “Brake pipe corroded covered in grease” which states 3 different areas, and before selling me the car they carried out the MOT, and put the exact same advisory for 2019 which has resulted in the MOT failing on this specific problem? I understand it’s ‘advised’ but the garage I took it to for a MOT deemed this unsafe to drive and should of been fixed before giving me the car.

If they offered me £200 as a “good will gesture”, towards getting the car fixed, which is no where near how much it’s going to cost for me to fix this problem, and to “close the case” I opened, are they bribing me because they are worried I can take this further? Thanks
''If a company sells you a car and they carry out the MOT, would you expect them to fix an advisory that was already an advisory the year before?''

If i was buying a car and see in the MOT history the issue had been repeatedly advised and ignored; i'd be asking them, why the last owner just left it and duly ask if they would knock the price down.

I see there are many Mercs around, particularly CLK 220 coupes, with repeated brake line rusting issues.

As other poster says and I've just learnt, Wax Oil/seal is a massive saving in the long run. Guy on another forum applied that stuff to a merc and brake pipes lasted 25 years after doing so.Unsure if he repeated the process to achieve that longevity though. Wondering if this magical stuff can be applied to exhaust systems ?

Don't they use copper pipes anymore?
Steel pipes will rust.
Undercoating wax oil is your best friend before it begins rusting ;)
Copper alone is not used as it is not strong enough, you are possibly thinking of Kunifer which is an alloy of Copper and Nickel?

When I bought the W204, it had two advisories: cut in the rear tyre, and front bearing excessive play. I took the car to Terry at WG, who adjusted the wheel bearing, and checked the tyre saying the cut was very superficial and not a cause for concern (but I did change all 4 tyres not too long after).

If your car has MOT advisories - whether you just bought it or not - why wouldn't you actively seek to address the issues? The advisories won't fix themselves.

Oops - we seem to have lost the OP.

When I bought the W204, it had two advisories: cut in the rear tyre, and front bearing excessive play. I took the car to Terry at WG, who adjusted the wheel bearing, and checked the tyre saying the cut was very superficial and not a cause for concern (but I did change all 4 tyres not too long after).

If your car has MOT advisories - whether you just bought it or not - why wouldn't you actively seek to address the issues? The advisories won't fix themselves.
Myself, wouldn't be looking to buy any car with a host of advisories. Maybe if they were low key and cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom