Corroded chrome window surrounds - 2016 CLS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jack13

Car
CLS 350d AMG Line Premium
Good Afternoon,

Does anyone know whether the chrome surrounds on the windows are covered by the bodywork warranty (or in fact the used 1 year warranty) and whether blotchy chrome on this part is a Mercedes trait? Looks horrible but is only on one side which confuses me somewhat. Thanks for any advice.

Try Meguiars Scratch X on the chrome sections as this worked for me.

Hi, Thanks for that. I’m awaiting a response from mercedes and if no joy there then that might be next port of call.

Blotchy patches suggests someone's been getting over enthusiastic with TFR.

Good Afternoon,

Does anyone know whether the chrome surrounds on the windows are covered by the bodywork warranty (or in fact the used 1 year warranty) and whether blotchy chrome on this part is a Mercedes trait? Looks horrible but is only on one side which confuses me somewhat. Thanks for any advice.
I had all 12 of mine supplied under the used approved warranty a few months ago. (Albeit in gloss black). The existing ones were badly mottled. I believe due to harsh cleaning products.

I had to have them fitted locally as the suppling dealer is down in Southampton. Total PITA to do because mirrors and door cards have to be removed on the lower front door trims.

My car is a 2017 C Class estate but guessing it’s a common problem across the range?

I had all 12 of mine supplied under the used approved warranty a few months ago. (Albeit in gloss black). The existing ones were badly mottled. I believe due to harsh cleaning products.

I had to have them fitted locally as the suppling dealer is down in Southampton. Total PITA to do because mirrors and door cards have to be removed on the lower front door trims.

My car is a 2017 C Class estate but guessing it’s a common problem across the range?

It's common problem across all models. My 2006 W203 had it, and my 2013 W204 has it. Happens to both gloss black and chrome external trim bits. And yes, it's caused by careless use of TFR.

As for the 8 years paint warranty.... my understanding is that only covers panels, but not trim bits or bumpers etc, but I'm not sure.

... my understanding is that only covers panels, but not trim bits or bumpers etc, but I'm not sure.
Agreed. I think in my case they were supplied as a ‘goodwill’ gesture given the other issues I had.

Common as , so called cures a many , but never a long term solution as renewal .

Common as , so called cures a many , but never a long term solution as renewal .
My defective ones looked fine in the wet. The mottled look only appeared once dry. Therefor Silicone spray may have been worth trying. 🤔

WD40 / GT85 etc calms for a few dry days .

I'm wondering if a 'years' ceramic sealant does any better ?

Agreed. I think in my case they were supplied as a ‘goodwill’ gesture given the other issues I had.

Additionally, supplying an Approved Used car with unrepaired paint defects that existed at the time of sale, might be in a liability category of its own (i.e. regardless of any Approved Used warranty, New Car warranty, or paint warranty).

Mine are also a bit rubbish. Some polishing with Autosol has helped reduce it a little on one strip I've trialled (driver's door). I know Autosol is a metal polish and these are basically plastic pieces with a chrome plating applied and then probably a clear non-metallic top coat of some sort, but with the state initially it was going to take something fairly abrasive to make any impact. So it's better than it was; it's not perfect.

The only other thing I could think of (if I was feeling super brave and flush with time) is to remove them all, clean off the old sticky (I assume they are stuck on), vinyl wrap them with a brushed stainless or chrome wrap, and they reattach with the sort of tape that everyone uses to stick the carbon spoilers on their E63 saloons.

Not much cost to this, provided I don't mess it up.

New ones look like they're around £60 a piece if you can find them new on eBay. I've not asked any dealers to price them up.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. Only ever been washed by hand with Meguirs Shampoo and snow foam and Bilt Hamber for the wheels. Had the car since August last year. I think I might contact MB near me up north (bought from Lookers in Canterbury). I just assumed it would polish out but how wrong I was..... as it was sold as this do you think I have a case markjay?

No idea, based on members' posts it's a lottery... some dealers proved very accommodating, while others stuck to their guns - there's no consistency between dealers and it's the luck of the draw. But definitely worth a shot. My understanding is that paint defects are covered by the new car 3-year warranty, and after that by an additional 5-year 'goodwill' warranty.

As for the Approved Used warranty... again, worth a go.

BTW, some years ago I presented a 4-year old defective vehicle to my local Vauxhall dealer, and asked if the vehicle would be repaired under warranty. The dealer said no chance, refused to even check it with Vauxhall, and charged me for the repair in full. I later wrote directly to Vauxhall HQ in Luton, who promptly refunded me 75% of the repair bill, no questions asked.... some dealers are just unhelpful because they can’t be bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom