Corrosion on mot advisory

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Screechy

Car
2015 e63 estate
Just had the e63 service and MOT today at the main dealer and I was surprised to see the following 2 advisories:

Rear brake lines slight corrosion
Rear subframe corroded

Its a 2015 estate with 52k on the clock and still under the 2 year used car warranty.

They have told me that they have sprayed the pipes to prevent further corrosion but still surprised as it’s under 6 years old.

And as for the rear subframe I assume it’s minor as it’s only an advisory but again it’s only 6 years old and that doesn’t seem right.

I’ve asked them for more information on the above to see if covered under warranty but they didn’t sound positive. I have a friend at the local Toyota dealership and he said they have never had an issue with brake pipes and subframes corroding at this age are unheard of.

Is this just an over-efficient dealer looking for work or am i being unreasonable here?

Brake lines are notorious on Mercs for corroding.
They need cleaned and waxed/oiled frequently to prevent them corroding.

Sounds like they have just sprayed them rather than clean the corrosion off and inspevt then seal. Be prepared for new brake lines at some point unless you have a regimge of cleaning these.

Subframe on some cars are also a known problem.
I'd want this all cleaned and any corrosion nuetralised then sealed to prevent further corrosion.

...I have a friend at the local Toyota dealership and he said they have never had an issue with brake pipes and subframes corroding at this age are unheard of...

Last summer we finally scrapped the Toyota Previa that we bought new in 1997.... it had no corrosion anywhere :thumb:

I can tell you one of my brake lines, just one across the rear, was very corroded at 6 years old (my car is a 2014 C63). The rest are perfect. It depends if the paint is damaged by the clips. Here it is after I removed it:

IMG_20200519_162348.jpg

Oh and the car had a full MB history and someone had sprayed grease on the brake lines over the corroded area, perhaps in the service just 3 months prior.

The undercovers play a big part in this , they help keep alot of dirt and salt off the chassis ,but they also stop the chassis drying out from the wind when driving.

Thanks for the replies. I will ask my indie to do the pipes. And also ask for more info on the subframe corrosion when I collect the car tomorrow

I’m surprised you didn’t receive a link to a video showing any issues while the car was on the ramp with an explanation from the technician working on your car.

I always get a link via text with a short video.

Thought this was standard for all main dealers

Yes had a video with a brief mention of the brake line but he said it was difficult to get to with the camera. No mention in the video of the subframe, it was picked up in the mot and not the service.

I have now collected the car and they put it on the ramp for me. The brake line is very minor compared to the photo from jasonh above. And the subframe again was just where some paint had come off around the fixing bolt.

Best to get it waxoyled before it becomes and issue, preventative maintenance is well worth it for peace of mind. :)

planning on kurust and applying under seal with waxoyl this weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom