Corrosion Prevention - Dynax S-50 from Bilt Hamber

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

300CE

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 300CE
Have just bought some of this in order to halt the rust from spreading on the wings of my 300CE. I will eventually get them replaced/repaired once i have the funds available, but hopefully this stuff will hold the dreaded tin worm at bay in the meantime.

Not to sure whether any of you chaps have used this stuff, but thought i'd add a link just in case it's of any use:

Bilt-Hamber Laboratories - Corrosion Prevention: Dynax S50

have you used Bilt ?

Hello just a quick thought how would this product compare to Waxoil?

thinking of getting some myself?

anyone used?

thanks

IIRC from a test conducted by Practical Classics, Bilt Hamber products were rated very highly. Waxoil did not receive glowing reviews.

First rate stuff and also worth considering their Ferrosol product, which is a creeping water displacement/rust protector/lubricant.

I use it on my Land Cruiser after pressure washing mud and worse off the underside and then apply Dynax

Waxoyl is nowhere near as good

Hi Pete, i'm a subscriber to Practical Classics and this is where i first heard of this product. Just done a quick search and found a link from Detailing World reviewing the item and using it on wheel arches!

Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 Review - Detailing World

Thanks for the link.

The issue of Practical Classics with a group test of corrosion inhibitors is around ten years old now. I no longer subscribe, and threw away that issue, but, like I said, Waxoil faired poorly against its contemporaries.

I wish I had kept that issue as again, IIRC, as with many things in life, price didn't necessarily equal performance.

The Bilt Hamber literature makes a pretty solid case for their range of products; I believe many members of this forum use POR 15 to good effect as well. As an aside, for rust removal equaling the impressive results obtained using Deox Gel and Deox X, may I direct you to this page:

Rust Removal

:thumb:

Thanks for the link.

The issue of Practical Classics with a group test of corrosion inhibitors is around ten years old now. I no longer subscribe, and threw away that issue, but, like I said, Waxoil faired poorly against its contemporaries.

I wish I had kept that issue as again, IIRC, as with many things in life, price didn't necessarily equal performance.

The Bilt Hamber literature makes a pretty solid case for their range of products; I believe many members of this forum use POR 15 to good effect as well. As an aside, for rust removal equaling the impressive results obtained using Deox Gel and Deox X, may I direct you to this page:

Rust Removal

:thumb:

Wow!:thumb:

Rust prevention

Where would you specifically use these products on thW124...estate

Would you remove any wheel arch liners?

I have access to a pit...? where specifically should I use these rust prevention products?

Should I be cleaning down any of the areas? jet wash? By hand?

Anything I should look for on Ramps or in pit?

Many thanks in advance

Hi Lukather, i just want to stop the rust from spreading/getting any worse for now as i'm looking to get the rust sorted in the near future, so i'll just remove the wheels and get a hose inside the arches whilst getting all of the the muck out (it's absolutely chocca with crap at the mo), dry it and then coat the inside with the Dynax.

Not sure if you checked out the 'detailing world' link above as this shows a more in depth process with removal of the liners etc.

The 'rust eater' neutraliser-type products are acidic, and work on the same principal as the vinegar bath as demonstrated in that link. The only difference being that they are normally far more concentrated for a more immediate effect.

I've got a bottle of PH Down. If you google it, you'll find it has a variety of uses, especially within the domestic gardening community(!). It's 81% phosphoric acid which I use to treat metal before priming and painting. I apply it on bright shiny metal where I've rubbed-down and removed the rusty bits. This should deal with the microscopic rust you can't see, and give it a tougher time to come back. Goggles and thick rubber gloves are a must when using it!

Daft question then

Could you use vinegar as an anti rust treatment ? and they use other products...WD40 ...for cleaning and doing rusty chassis parts?

thanks

yes i used vinegar to clean up removable parts (like brackets, bolts etc) on my SL prior to rubbing down, treating and repainting. worked quite well and was cheap!

Have just bought some of this in order to halt the rust from spreading on the wings of my 300CE. I will eventually get them replaced/repaired once i have the funds available, but hopefully this stuff will hold the dreaded tin worm at bay in the meantime.

Not to sure whether any of you chaps have used this stuff, but thought i'd add a link just in case it's of any use:

Bilt-Hamber Laboratories - Corrosion Prevention: Dynax S50

I have some of this, its good stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom