Corrosion worries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frazzy

Car
2001 CLK320.
Hi everybody,
I recently bought a 2001 clk320 on a Y plate,the car is in very good condition having only one previous owner and 38000 miles on the clock,it has full main dealer service history.
On giving the engine bay a clean up last week i noticed what looks like a lot of corrosion just down behind the fusebox,the previous owner has tried covering it with filler and paint(i didnt notice this when i bought car):mad: ,is this normal on a car of this age?

Not common, if its a join what your looking at might be how it left the factory. As it is not seen, it does not need to look pretty. They use a putty of soem sort which is then painted over, similar to what you find in the spare tyre well.

Thanks for the reply,its definitely not a seam,it looks like a hole about the size of a golfball thats been badly filled and painted over(different colour of blue paint).Im just assuming that the previous owner has filled and painted it himself,surely it wouldn't leave Mercedes- Benz like this?My concern is its starting to rust around this (repaired?) area,is it worth contacting Mercedes about this?:(

If you bought the vehicle as Mercedes Benz Approved sure. Talk with them and see what their story is. The sooner you do this the better since other wise they might tell you; Oh Mr. 'You did this your self...' So call them and make an appointment.

Good luck,
bt

Thanks for that,(unforunately for me )i bought the car privately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom