Corrupted Becker Map Pilot, any fixes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartC

Car
W204 C180 *now sold*
Somehow, my Becker Map Pilot module became corrupted. Just displayed the Becker screen and never got past initialising.

Bought a new module from the dealer, but does anyone know if I can recover the corrupted module?
When plugged into the PC, all the folder and file names displayed like wingdings. I’ve been messing with it, trying to load on some of the files from the new module, while retaining the original serial number, but still won’t boot up properly.

If it’s only fit for the bin, then fair enough, but be nice to recover it if possible.

I will put mine on my laptop tonight, im sure there is a option to reload the latest software

Do you have an SD card in yours.....? It may be the card that's corrupt

Last edited:
There's no SD card in mine. Foolishly, I never backed the original one up so I've been trying to restore it from the back up of the new unit with renamed serial number to match the old device.

I have My Content Manger loaded and it communicates with the corrupt unit. After posting, I searched more and found a really good thread on here detailing some steps people had taken when experiencing issues, so I'll try and run through some of those tonight.

It seems like the corrupt unit needs the firmware reloading although couldn't work out how. I'll have another play and report back.

I don't have the full info to hand, but from memory the internal BMP flash storage can be reformatted on a PC (not sure if FAT32 or NTFS etc), and the files and folders simpl copied across from a different unit (I think there's a text file containing the SN which needs to be amened).

If you can't access the internal BMP flash storage from a PC and reformat it, then there's a hardware issue with the unit and it's essentially a brick.

I don't have my BMP any more.... so you'll need to Google it. But essentially it's just flash storage drive with some file and folders on it.

Yep you need to reload the software then upload the maps

Software update here Harman Becker Shop

Model number is on the sticker on the bottom of the device mine is M013

You can format the device from windows file manager

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I can format it and copy across files and folders and the maps are recognised by content manager, but does not initialise in the car. Also tried restoring from a newer back up, but I’d imagine there’s a serial number mismatch.

If I format the unit, content manager doesn’t know it’s connected.

Pretty sure it’s not bricked, just needs s/w

Hers the content of my BMP, the serial number is in device.xml, and on the sticker on the device
upload_2018-5-22_8-11-32.png

From memory, mine looks the same after plugging into the car - that seems to create all those sv and gpspara files.
After a fresh restore, the list ends at device.xml. I've spent over 4 hours messing with it now, but still not quite worked out what's going wrong:confused:

Thanks for all the input guys. I know this isn't an important issue, but if I can restore this unit as a spare then I'll be happy.

have you asked Comand On Line for ideas / suggestions?
PM or phone Alfie before you give up

From memory, mine looks the same after plugging into the car - that seems to create all those sv and gpspara files.
After a fresh restore, the list ends at device.xml. I've spent over 4 hours messing with it now, but still not quite worked out what's going wrong:confused:

Thanks for all the input guys. I know this isn't an important issue, but if I can restore this unit as a spare then I'll be happy.

hi MartC , i wonder if you solved this issue as i am experiencing the same sort of thing myself

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

That's many more files than I had when I made a backup of my M054.

Another forum says to make device.xmlt readonly or lock the file if using a Mac

upload_2019-8-28_20-4-56.png

That's many more files than I had when I made a backup of my M054.

Another forum says to make device.xmlt readonly or lock the file if using a Mac

View attachment 88491

hi garycat,

i cant seem to make anything stick in the BMP drive via windows explorer, i can see data, but if i try and delete any data there it says its been deleted initially, but then it comes back again, same if i try and write to it, its like its been locked or protected ?

Its been a while since I played around with the Map Pilot. I never did get to the bottom of it and recently binned the old dead unit as I've now sold the car.
One thing that really frustrated me was having no option to reload the firmware. If its up to date, then the content manager wont allow the firmware to be reloaded. I think the key is to find a way to force a fresh install of firmware.

thanks for the reply Martc,

i have now given up on the dam thing also, and i am now awaiting a response from Becker, but not holding my breath.

fact is , i had a fully functioning BPM , i plugged into the manufacturers software program ie content manager, it then told me there is a firmware update and i followed the instructions to the letter, just like we all do with iphone updates , itunes , etc,

however since the recommended update, i now have a defunct unit.

Yes ,with hind sight i would have never removed it from the car, and i feel a Tom Tom unit will be in the Mercedes real soon...

thanks for the reply Martc,

i have now given up on the dam thing also, and i am now awaiting a response from Becker, but not holding my breath.

If you don't get anything back I could try loading my backup on to it (as you're also Bristol based). I tried PM'ing you but the forum settings don't allow it.

however since the recommended update, i now have a defunct unit.
i feel a Tom Tom unit will be in the Mercedes real soon...

Mine just corrupted one day while driving so no interaction from me at all.

I actually had a Tomtom for a while before buying the new Becker unit from MB and it worked quite well on longer journeys as you could use the infotainment screen for everything else.

Hopefully Becker will resolve your issue as it does sound their software bricked the unit

If you don't get anything back I could try loading my backup on to it (as you're also Bristol based). I tried PM'ing you but the forum settings don't allow it.

thanks gary, i cant pm until i have reached 30 posts apparently lol

it looks like i am unable to save data to my BPM, it shows all data , on the BPM drive , i write to it , but then it disappears again,,,

maybe its damaged hardware ?

interesting if you happen to live in Germany , they operate a flat fee repair service for 35 euros,,,,, yes please i would like my Becker repaired....

Becker Navigation

"Customers who have purchased their product in the Becker Online Shop before 1 April 2017 can have their device repaired for a flat fee of 35 Euro (including VAT). Please send your device to: DASQ Electronics GmbH, Schönbergstraße 47, 73760 Ostfildern and enclose a confirmation of the cost assumption and a short description of the error. Payment is by invoice"

one thing i was able to do was change the drive letter of the BPM drive, now i have changed this a few times as i was experimenting

i now wonder if that could be the issue , where i have change the drive letter so the firmware is looking for the wrong drive ?

I have forgotten what the original drive letter was now,

Can anyone plug their BPM into a PC and tell me what drive letters they get in windows explorer also the name of the drives please?

thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom