Cost of a new bathroom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
:crazy:
Well, we moved house last week. Its 20 years old and needs some updating. So we've decorated the whole place (walls and ceilings) (5 bed 3,200 sq ft) and new carpets throughout. New ceramics in the conservatory.

Now to the bathrooms. 3 of them. One green suite. One grey suite. One pink suite. And oh, how I loved the 80's :eek:

So, prices for the fitting of a new bathroom suite and tiling half way up?

£3,200 per room. :confused:

Total labour £9,600. (this is labour only I would add)

Is that fair? How long do you think it should take.?

Each bathroom needs all sanitaryware replacing. Some tiles to remove (brick walls) -= excludes tilesd but includes the tiling in shower area and half way up resty of room.

Rooms around 8 feet by 10 feet.

Thoughts welcome.

Smillion

As a guide for labour costs:

Tiling usually costs about £20-30 per Sq Meter

1st Fix Bathrooms: £350-500
2nd fix bathrooms: £200-300

As ever, get 2 or 3 different quotes. And imho try and find a local independant who can supply refs- that's opposed to a company like Dolphin cos they just seem to make up the numbers with no rational depending on what they think they can get away with. As tedious as it may seem, you also need to get a price for every fitting or at least go with someone whos is prepared to elaborate on how the price is made up.

that's opposed to a company like Dolphin cos they just seem to make up the numbers with no rational depending on what they think they can get away with.

We talked about this before. I got a quote from Dolphin for an 8x8 bathroom of £27,000 (!!)

In the end, we went to a local bathroom supplier, bought the furniture, and they used an independent fitter.

Total cost was around £6k, but that included complete replastering, because the old tiles were stuck on too tight :)

I guess the breakdown was around £2k labour (£400 plastering) and the rest was the suite, furniture and fittings.

PJ

It all depends on what suite, tiles and flooring you go for, my bathroom cost about £1000, I bought a cheap 3 piece suite for £400 fitted it myself and then tiled the whole bathroom with border tiles too. The tiles cost about the same I guess, add a power shower and jobs a goodun. The reason for this is I know I will get the urge to move on to another project...:D So I kept it cheap, I do all the work myself so can't coment on labour, as everyone said get 2-3 different quotes though. Oh and my bathroom is 6x6'

bathstore.com are really cheap on some stuff. We're doing ours too and started with the shower room. My brother-in-law's a plumber so he got the gubbins from a supplier he uses - an identical sink turned out to be £30 cheaper at bathstore.com - other stuff was perhaps cheaper, and so we probably broke even in the end. Hoping we won't pay labour so can't comment on that!!

I've noticed that the bundle deals at B&Q, Focus, etc are really good value if they have a package that you like and fits. However if you want a specific size or design, or better quality, and buy stuff separately the cost shoots up dramatically. I decided to go for what we really wanted, rather than what we thought we could live with.

Note to self: I really must get round finish taking the old tiles off!!

The trick to bathrooms is:

Buy a resonably priced Suite but add expensive looking/feeling taps makes all the difference to the finshed product. Most Bathroom suites are actually made from the same factory and jut rebranded! Try looking at some Vitra for suites.

The trick to bathrooms is:

Buy a resonably priced Suite but add expensive looking/feeling taps makes all the difference to the finshed product. Most Bathroom suites are actually made from the same factory and jut rebranded! Try looking at some Vitra for suites.

Absolutely! Good taps, showers and tiles make the bathroom. When I did my bathroom at my prev house it cost around £6 - 7 k all in all. Can't remember exactly. We bought the suite from Homebase, but bought a Kudos shower cubicle bought swish looking taps and shower and good tiles. Also think about the use of mirrors. Ended up with a stunning bathroom. I'm hoping to almost replicate it in this house ;) without the bath though.

I've just bought bathroom gear from www.paradisebathrooms.co.uk
I'm in the trade and found that these people beat most of my trade prices. Delivery took 3 - 4 weeks.
Web site isn't that good so you need an idea of what you are looking for by visiting other showrooms.

No reason why a white bathroom suite should cost more than £1,000. Unless you're changing the layout, it will get fitted in a day. Tiles vary a lot but could cost £50/m2 and a tiler will cost more per hour than most tradesmen but takes no time.

Taps and fittings - well it's up to you what you spend.

No reason why a white bathroom suite should cost more than £1,000.

Not sure I agree. You can spend that, but here's a reason why it would cost more:

Our bathroom isn't large, so we bought a shower bath, or a 'P' or 'd' bath, and that was getting on for £1,500 on its own.

PJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom