Cost of Chips away Paint Repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smarties

Hello fellow members. Living in Cornwall we don't have much to choose from (1 in fact, we are 28 miles away and he doesn't like to travel!!). But what do you think the approx cost of a paint devil chips, type outfit would charge per repair. I have been quoted £120 per panel (2 panels, 2 very small scrathes, 1 medium=£240). Does that sound about right?

Sounds a bit on the high side but you may be paying a "living in the sticks" premium. Altho franchised I think it's up to the individual repairer what they charge. [ in the end the quality of the job is the important thing?] Have you asked your local MB dealer who they use to fettle their used car stock?

My advice would be to take it to a bodyshop, I've used ChipsAway before I wouldn't recommend them at all.

I was thinking that at 120 a panel for a scratch repair (solid paint), it would be just a cheap to do the complete panel.

If we are talking about painting complete panels I really would NOT use chips away.. A booth and indoor facilities are essential for this type of work.

My friends parents used chips away once. Never again.

How bad are these scratches? Has it been keyed and gone through the paint? Pics?

I used Chips away last weekend. He was here for over 2 hours and touched in over 50 very small stone chip marks and one slightly bigger mark on the boot lid. Charged £70.00 plus VAT. I would definately reccommend the chap that I used, but I suppose the quality of the job depends on who you get. Brian J.

Very much depends on the individual operative. In our area a local bodyshop is much less costly than Chips away and does a better job.

Very much depends on the individual operative. In our area a local bodyshop is much less costly than Chips away and does a better job.

It's a long way to go to Tuscany just for a bit of paint.

It's a long way to go to Tuscany just for a bit of paint.
In Italy there is no such thing as a SMART repairer. Perhaps a change of career beckons but nobody bothers fixing the bodywork in any case. Very few cars have comprehensive insurance - its astronomically expensive compared to the uk. If the 124 needs any work I get it done back in the UK.

Hello

That sounds a lot.

We had a mobile guy come out to my wifes car (a big dent left in the passenger side while at an NCP carpark)

Anyway the dent removal was really very good even more so as it was on a crease in the body work. Less so was the colour match (silver) it was completely wrong...

He came out twice to try and 'fix' it, in the end I paid him £40 for the dent repair and left it at that. I agree if it needs spraying a body shop is the way as they would have blended in the wing and rear door to match it better...

As said above the quality of the repair will very muchndepend on the individual franchisee, I too have had bad experiences with them and would never use chips away again. After they redid it for the third time it looked 'ok', but within a year it had all gone flat and pitted.

I'd say it may be ok if you are selling the car or giving it back to a lease company, but certainly not if your planning to keep the car.

Chips away bristol are shyte. Don't do the agreed work. Over priced. Colour blind.

I've just had a leaflet from Chips Away in Fareham, they are doing a promo at Sainsburys at the weekend, I was thinking about getting an area on my bumper that's been annoying me fixed. As it seems to depend on the operative I wonder what they are like.

Reading the responses on here, I think our 'local' chips guy is wanting to retire early. Amazing that 'cash rich' Surrey, is cheaper than 'cash strapped' Cornwall for this kind of thing.

I've just had a leaflet from Chips Away in Fareham, they are doing a promo at Sainsburys at the weekend, I was thinking about getting an area on my bumper that's been annoying me fixed. As it seems to depend on the operative I wonder what they are like.

I wonder if they can show any examples of their work whilst there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom