Cost of raising a child soars by 55% in nine years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I imagine overall inflation will account for most of that, not just child specific inflation.

Being a new dad for the 1st time (10month old Daughter) ... this just scared the hell out of me !!!! but then -

Wonder if this is based on shopping in M&S, Holidays 5* in St Moritz/San Tropez - Pony Club, Golf Lessons, Private Education etc etc

OR

Shopping in Asda, Holidays in Caravan, Kite Flying, Bicycle riding, Skipping rope and State school etc etc

3kids = £750'000.00!!!!!!! what!? :doh:

either way - I am still saving up for my SLR McLaren :D

So about 8% per year? Not much more than inflation considering almost everyone I know is earning no more, or even less, than they were nine years ago....
What a badly written article.

So about 8% per year? Not much more than inflation considering almost everyone I know is earning no more, or even less, than they were nine years ago....
What a badly written article.

For most of the last 9 years inflation has been about 2.5%pa.

£66,823 is the apparent cost of the first five years of a child's life. That's more than£1000pm...where do they get these stupid figures?

£66,823 is the apparent cost of the first five years of a child's life. That's more than£1000pm...where do they get these stupid figures?
If that's true then I'm doomed, mine is due in March! We've already spent thousands on clothes, decorating, furniture, "travel system", toys and teddies and the poor thing's not even arrived yet. Now you're saying I have to add a grand per month to the costs?

You know if it comes down to AMG vs firstborn it's going to be a very tough decision.

You know if it comes down to AMG vs firstborn it's going to be a very tough decision.[/QUOTE]

You'll be looking for an estate car before you know it.

Why are hobbies & toys and the Presents category separate - I see that as the same thing really.

I also think this leisure and recreation one is misleading - surely that would come under either presents or hobbies or holidays.

On top of that, £71k for education? Well in my case at least that can get wiped off as I'm not sending mine to a private school!

If that's true then I'm doomed, mine is due in March! We've already spent thousands on clothes, decorating, furniture, "travel system", toys and teddies and the poor thing's not even arrived yet. Now you're saying I have to add a grand per month to the costs?

You know if it comes down to AMG vs firstborn it's going to be a very tough decision.

Thousands...on clothes?:eek:

And just after they leave home...............

Grandkids!!!
Dozens of them!!
All needing Christmas and birthday presents!
AND days out......

YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WARNED!!!!!

I blame...

Sony
Apple
Nike
Paulas boutique
Bench

''my friends at school have got those...""

:doh:

I chopped £130k from my bill - we've got very good state schools and we've never paid for childcare / babysitting (not that we farmed the kids out to others, Mrs E stayed at home for a while, and the kids went wherever we went).

£15k on holidays? When I add up the extra costs of taking one skiing I can see how you could get to that - we stopped when the second arrived.

When you look at some of the other categories - Leisure, hobbies, other - you can begin to understand why younger ones today have very little appreciation of the value of things. It's coming as a bit of a shock to Master E - now's he's got a part-time job I notice the lack of designer jeans, and the demand for new trainers every month has declined. I'm fairly happy that he's getting to the point where he can budget for himself, and I won't end up like some parents I know who are still bailing out their kids into their late 20s.

Kids - babies especially - have the same effect as weddings. Slap the appropriate moniker onto a product, double the price, and watch the mugs roll in...

Emmm..... I knew there was a reason I don't have kids. Never have I felt the need to leave behind some moving DNA.

I will be quite happy to leave it frozen just in case someone thinks its worth something :))

And for that money maybe I would be able to retire a few years early and enjoy my silver years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom