Cost of replacing 212 lower control arm & ball joint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Has anyone had this done recently? Last week's MOT has thrown up the fact that the N/S ball joint is worn as is the (lower, I think?) control arm.

I've been hearing a clonk for some time now but, unlike on a 211, I've found it hard to pinpoint the source. I know it was somewhere on the left but couldn't be sure where. I had a Thule bike rack on over the summer and, believe it or not, thought the noise might have been coming from there. But no; took the bike rack off and drove to Wales. Clunkety clonk clonk clonk.

The garage are suggesting replacing both the ball joint & arm at the same time as it's cheaper overall.

Any idea as to the rough cost? £200 all in?

TIA

Following as I had an offside balljoint advisory on the W219 last year and want to get it sorted at the annual service

Following as I had an offside balljoint advisory on the W219 last year and want to get it sorted at the annual service

I'll let you know when I get a quote. From what I can tell I think a ball joint is around £35 and an arm around £80. Then there's labour & tracking.

Is the balljoint even changeable ?

Is the ball joint not part of the arm ??

Pair of Lemförder LCAs (inc ball joint) around £150 from autodoc.

Ball joints (lower front) are a lot easier on the W212 than the W211.

They bolt in both places and push out very easy compared to the W211.

Don't buy cheap as you will only end up changing them again, OEM are around £40.

Just been quoted for driver side and front passenger side lower ball joint replacement at £1046 from Mercedes garage. Surely I’m being ripped off right?

Just been quoted for driver side and front passenger side lower ball joint replacement at £1046 from Mercedes garage. Surely I’m being ripped off right?
Haha thats crazy money. Lemfoder are £80 cheaper than Mercedes and i had them fitted on my cl216 for £250 at a local garage

A quick look and 2 arms are about £300 lemforder. Then there's the labour say 2 to 3 hours , say £450// £500 tops . Based on a c250 .

A quick look and 2 arms are about £300 lemforder. Then there's the labour say 2 to 3 hours , say £450// £500 tops . Based on a c250 .
Cheers. Will definitely be taking it to an independent. They started giving it the ‘it needs urgent attention otherwise it could cause an accident if they come loose’ despite me having it fully serviced 7 months ago and no issues were identified then.

Haha thats crazy money. Lemfoder are £80 cheaper than Mercedes and i had them fitted on my cl216 for £250 at a local garage
Haha cheers bud. Will definitely try an independent. Knew it was a ridiculous price as soon as he said it

The ball joints are part of the control arm and lemforder cost £150 for the pair as stated. It will cost more in labour if you faff around trying to get the ball joints out of the arm.

I believe it’s about two hour labour on top, for an indie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom