Cost of running van to London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
I’m a builder and I’ve had a vivaro/trafic/primastar van for years. I previously owned the 1.9 around 4 years ago which pretty much at first cost £20 a day to run from home to london. Basically 25 miles each way. I done a service on it with a new fuel filter and it pretty much cut the daily running cost in half. Since then I’ve purchased a 2.5 trafic. No matter what I do the bloody thing drinks £20 a day. I’m useless with mpg and working it all out. All I know is I have a 1.3 diesel Astra van that will do the same journey for under half the price but there’s 3 of us and don’t wanna get nicked having someone in the back.

Anyone run a 2.5 vivaro/trafic/ primastar? Are they this juicy?

When I had the van business, I had plenty of the 2.5’s and never noticed a difference, in fact I always thought they were better on fuel economy due to being less stressed.

Might be worth looking at getting the rear seat conversion done in the Astravan...

Two basic things to check might be
a] final drive ratio- bigger engine=bigger load= lower back axle ratio?
b] engine warm up time/running temperature = colder engine will use more fuel

Cable tie the third guy to the roof rack:D
That’s ridiculous, and not a solution to the problem.

Use rope, it’s reusable and so it’s better for the planet, and will save you money in the long run.

That’s ridiculous, and not a solution to the problem.

Use rope, it’s reusable and so it’s better for the planet, and will save you money in the long run.
And if you tie it round his neck you only have to do it once (and save money on wages!)

I’m a builder and I’ve had a vivaro/trafic/primastar van for years. I previously owned the 1.9 around 4 years ago which pretty much at first cost £20 a day to run from home to london. Basically 25 miles each way. I done a service on it with a new fuel filter and it pretty much cut the daily running cost in half. Since then I’ve purchased a 2.5 trafic. No matter what I do the bloody thing drinks £20 a day. I’m useless with mpg and working it all out. All I know is I have a 1.3 diesel Astra van that will do the same journey for under half the price but there’s 3 of us and don’t wanna get nicked having someone in the back.

Anyone run a 2.5 vivaro/trafic/ primastar? Are they this juicy?
£20 a day...how many litres is that? Then we can work out the mpg.

BTW it'll either be very bad or terrible.

Probably 15 mpg.

From my calculations it’s around £1.36 pl so £20 is 15ltrs I think.

So... with the smaller van, you could save £10 a day.

Buy a pushbike for the third guy - you're into profit in only a few weeks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom