Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noahrg

Car
1989 300 SL
I'm heading off to Calais on the 8th July, to slowly meander through champagne, bourgogne, through st etienne towards marseille in my r107 300 sl.

From there, waft along the d559 through st tropez and towards Nice, stopping off for calamari & refreshments whenever necessary, and sometimes when not :).

Continuing the drive along the French & Italian riviera towards Portofino, with a left turn to lake como and a leisurely drive home passing through liechtenstein, strasbourg, luxembourg & rochfort.

Driving Style...

Taking a-road equivalents, stopping fairly frequently at attractive looking cafe's/restaurants or hotels/bnbs for the night or evening and picking up a case of regional vino whenever possible. No day-by-day itinerary just each day as it comes, with of course an idea of where we want to drive toward.

:bannana:

If anybody has suggestions of a good place to eat, stay, visit along this route that would be much appreciated (I've seen & very much enjoyed the previous well documented threads on routes similar :).

Additionally, if anybody has a motor that would enjoy this drive, and wants to meet us (the wifey & I) on route, perhaps on one of the roads below :thumb: , please let me know. Planning to use about 3 weeks.

I've included some pics found on google which have got me even more excited for the trip, when I imagine my motor superimposed over the top of them! Here's to hoping all mechanicals enjoy the trip too!

Ps. The last pic is how I've convinced the wifey will enjoy the trip ;). Although, not behind the wheel of my precious 300 sl, without more driving experience! (hasn't driven since passing test in south korea :eek: ).

http://ourfuturedemo3.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2.1255901675.italian-coast-drive.jpg

http://ourfuturedemo3.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Road-Trip-race-track.png

http://ourfuturedemo3.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/DSC_0050-e1432458353997.png

http://ourfuturedemo3.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/54eae02b3afa3_-_08-col-de-turini-france-1.jpg

http://ourfuturedemo3.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/atrapa-a-un-ladron-3.png

Have done the first leg, only just entered Italy, many times. In fact we got back from Santander/San Sebastian/Carcassonne/Lourmarin/Beaune/Troyes/Montreuil 2 days ago.

Personally I would use the Autoroute for parts of the trip simply to avoid labouring through some of the more boring parts of France - up to you to decide which are thee boring parts!

I always stop at Beaune and buy wine at Millésimes à la Carte, reasonably priced and the owner is very knowledgeable (and patient). The chateaux at Savigny Les Beaune is a real treat for petrol heads, also aviation fuel heads.

The coast road in the south is great fun and very scenic as you will already know. St Maxime is easier to get to than St Tropez and there is a fun sea taxi to take you across to St Trop in 20 minutes rather than the quoted 2-3 hours by car.

As regards the Champagne region, personally I found Epernay rather dull but really enjoyed Troyes as a stopover instead.

I recall that there's a few of us on this forum who are familiar with your route so if you have any specific questions feel free to post them, I'm sure that you will receive some useful replies along with those who just have to post on every thread going.

As you head east from Marseilles, divert off the D559 at Cassis and take the D141 Route des Cretes to La Ciotat - there are some fantastic views.

Bandol is a pleasant little place to stop off, as is Sanary-sur-Mer.

Although you'll have to head inland a few miles, the Grand Canyon du Verdon is spectacular. It's actually worth driving both sides if you have the time, the D952 from Moustiers-Ste-Marie to Castellane and the D71 from Comps-sur-Artuby to Aiguines.

I have never visited Bandol but have enjoyed their Rose.

Brilliant. Thanks.

The Chateaux at Sevigny Les Beaune looks spectacularly good to steer down the gravel drive toward, I've also just seen it's got an Abarth prototype collection, Norton Bikes, 11 MIGs and you can stop for lunch!? Wow. 100% on the itinerary. Also considering Troyes so will give that a go.

Thanks re D141 tip, looks like an unbelievably excellent stretch of tarmac, also having googled... looks coincidentally like the road which is on the fourth pic!

I also would have missed the Grand Canyon du Verdon, which also having now googled would've been regrettable! Will most definitely amble through Bandol after the 141 too, looks like a very nice quaint & tranquil traditional port town. Perfect for possibly being able to park my car within view of calamari eatery, unlike some of its busier big brothers. Looks like they have their own whites & rosé too, my calamari should be delighted!

Many thanks,

If you go to Lake Como, I would recommend you to visit both Cernobbio and Bellagio. You will not be disappointed ;-)

Don't forget to allow enough time on your trip for negotiating the South Circular. Normally a week will suffice! Enjoy the journey

Brilliant thanks, I think it's the personal recommendations of lesser known towns and little villages that can make a trip. Always more of a story than the well known places. Looking forward to coasting through cheers.

The South Circular, yeah that seems about right. Used to live in Roehampton, at least its not as bad as going east/anywhere from there!

As suggested, I would definitely recommend visiting Bellagio once going to Como. On your return route to Liechtenstein, maybe you could include the drive through the beautiful surroundings to & through the Stelvio Pass?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom