Cotswold Stone Driveway.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marty359

Car
BMW 330d with indicators and Jeep Renegade also with indicators
Has anyone used this on there driveway?

I've never had a gravel driveway before and thinking of ordering some.

Does it lock together well over time and not move about due to it's angular shape?

Does it weather well and does it leave ruts?

Just looking for any experience with it.

Thanks

as with any driveway over engineer the base and it will save in the future,80% of block paving drives end up with tram lines over time,use a sand and cement base and its ok but that costs xtra money,but saves being redone in the future.remember over engineer.

Cheers, the sub base is done.

Scrapped off 200mm of soil, weed membrane down then 150mm of type 1 granite stone and hoping for 40/50mm of stone to bring it back up to the original height.

Cotswold stone is quite soft. We had our driveway done with Cotswold stone chippings, within 2yrs the majority of stone had ground done to dust. It looked a mess. We now have river gravel. It's much harder and round so never fully settles. It's a great early warning system and burglar deferent! :)

^^ What particle size did you go with WN. Do you have a photo and can you walk on it with bare feet - Kiwi. :):)

drive way

Hi, I have looked at various materials for driveways
and came to the conclusion that Cotswold stone is
too soft for this use, I have done the same as you
but used 10/20mm grey/white limestone, it stays together well
and is hardwearing I purchased it from stone warehouse
you will find it on the internet, it costs about £85 per
large bag about a ton, I think you can have it delivered
loose in large loads, I would recommend stone warehouse.
Hope this helps.

website Stone Warehouse: Decorative Aggregates, Gravel, Cobbles, Rockery Stone and Rock Salt | Stone Warehouse

Terry.

This is basic 20mm gravel - cheap and cheerful, virtually dust free and durable.

Just another option.

Cotswold chippings/stone, as has already been said by whitenemesis, is very soft and crumbles really easily, so not good for driveways where vehicles are parked, it also discolours very quickly. We had ours tarmaced in the end.

A friend has gravel on his and it's very durable and looks good. If you do decide on gravel, go for a larger sized one as it's less likey to get embedded in the tyre treads.

We have a pull in at the front of our house which is on a bit of an incline used stones that were already on the garden. Anyway to stop them moving and sinking I've used a plastic grid which is brilliant keeps all the stones in place ground doesn't sink etc... you can buy them on ebay or a company called gridforce. Got a friend who uses the grids on their farm for temporary parking in fields.

Thanks for the replies.

Cotswold stone is quite soft. We had our driveway done with Cotswold stone chippings, within 2yrs the majority of stone had ground done to dust. It looked a mess. We now have river gravel. It's much harder and round so never fully settles. It's a great early warning system and burglar deferent! :)

Good job I didn't just go ahead and order it, expensive job if it crumbles to dust after 2 years ! I don't want to kind of seal the top layer and then drainage will be a problem. I'll have a search for river gravel.

Hi, I have looked at various materials for driveways
and came to the conclusion that Cotswold stone is
too soft for this use, I have done the same as you
but used 10/20mm grey/white limestone, it stays together well
and is hardwearing I purchased it from stone warehouse
you will find it on the internet, it costs about £85 per
large bag about a ton, I think you can have it delivered
loose in large loads, I would recommend stone warehouse.
Hope this helps.

website Stone Warehouse: Decorative Aggregates, Gravel, Cobbles, Rockery Stone and Rock Salt | Stone Warehouse

Terry.

I'll have a search for this too, I'm after something white or a light colour as our crittal windows are white and we have lots of white roses in the garden. how long has your limestone been down?

I don't mind normal gravel it just puts me off when it's too thick and difficult to walk on. My other option was to lay down a gravel grid system and fill it with pea gravel. I was in a carpark that had it the other day it was nice and solid to walk on and since it's level and compacted stones getting caught in car tyres shouldn't be a problem.

We have a pull in at the front of our house which is on a bit of an incline used stones that were already on the garden. Anyway to stop them moving and sinking I've used a plastic grid which is brilliant keeps all the stones in place ground doesn't sink etc... you can buy them on ebay or a company called gridforce. Got a friend who uses the grids on their farm for temporary parking in fields.

yep that the stuff I've seen. It's not cheap but if I'm not using Cotswold stone it should still be within my budget.

Thanks for the link to gridforce. I have also a drive which is on an incline and although tarmac'd, is beginning to break up.

The gridforce video is very helpful.

Thanks for the replies.

Good job I didn't just go ahead and order it, expensive job if it crumbles to dust after 2 years ! I don't want to kind of seal the top layer and then drainage will be a problem. I'll have a search for river gravel.

I'll have a search for this too, I'm after something white or a light colour as our crittal windows are white and we have lots of white roses in the garden. how long has your limestone been down?

I don't mind normal gravel it just puts me off when it's too thick and difficult to walk on. My other option was to lay down a gravel grid system and fill it with pea gravel. I was in a carpark that had it the other day it was nice and solid to walk on and since it's level and compacted stones getting caught in car tyres shouldn't be a problem.

Hi
The limestone has been down for about 2 years and to date there is no problem with drainage and it is still wearing well. It does compress down slightly where the wheels go over, but this can be raked over. If you look on stonewarehouse website they do a lot of different aggregates to suit peoples needs.
Terry

For best prices, contact your local quarry.
We have 2 locally, both of which supply 20mm stone (bigger version of pea shingle).
One of the quarries has a rail link and imports granite (grey/pink) and limestone (white).
As they are bulk suppliers their prices will always be cheaper.
Most of the quarries will want to supply 20 tonne loads, but will also have access to smaller independant hauliers doing 2 to 10 tonne loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom