Could it be the Cat? E320 2008

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monkey

Car
2004 C230K
Hi

I have had an annoying rattle recently coming from the rear of car (possibly drivers side). I thought it might be a loose brake pad or something.

Last week I was driving it and there was a loud bang I thought it was a stone (or brick) hitting the car but when I got home couldn't find any evidence. Today I was driving it and pulled out of junction and again heard a loud bang - thought I had hit something at first but there was nothing to hit and then I remembered the similar noise happening last week.

Any ideas what this could be - could it be Catalytic converter related? If so any idea what is involved and cost we are looking at here to fix?

I am not over technical but would like some idea of what I am facing as car has already cost me a fortune last month.

Many Thanks

Possible brake show from parking drum sticking? Rattle could well be exhaust however I would be surprised if a loud bang was

Does the banging happen when you are turning? Only i had a similar situation/problem with a car I had and it turned out to be the drivers side track rod end that was making the banging noise. And the rattle could be a heat sheald, mine was the exhaust sheald that was rattling easily fixed with some steel cable ties.
Hope yours is an inexpensive fix for you pal

Hi

Thanks for your reply. That's interesting because the first time the bang happened I was just driving in a straight line but the second time I had just pulled out of a junction and was accelerating / straightening up going up a hill. Fingers crossed it is as simple as that ... I have it booked in to be looked at on Monday week.

Any further suggestions welcome ....

Many Thanks
Lynne

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom