Could of been nasty!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marty359

Car
BMW 330d with indicators and Jeep Renegade also with indicators
The replacment car after the W124 was written off is a......ahem.....diesel Rover 75 estate, 1 owner, full history and 130k miles for £500 bargain I thought. Great on fuel and nice and comfy the only things I don't like is it's a manual and by crikey is it slow.

Covered 2000 faultless miles in it then after a non stop 2.5 hour motorway drive with the family we were very nearly home when I stopped at a set of traffic lights and BANG!

Hazards on I got out to have a look :eek:

Had to let the tyre down to get the wheel off and luckily I had my battery grinder in the boot so cut the snapped part of the spring off so I could get the spare on, then a very slow 5 minute drive home.

imagine if I was traveling at 70mph on a motorway :eek: after a search on the net it should of had a recall early on it's life for a mod that stops the spring going into the tyre.

Yikes!! :wallbash:

You were very lucky, best to replace the three other springs or just get the mod to stop it rubbing the tyre.

The replacment car after the W124 was written off is a......ahem.....diesel Rover 75 estate, 1 owner, full history and 130k miles for £500 bargain I thought. Great on fuel and nice and comfy the only things I don't like is it's a manual and by crikey is it slow.

Covered 2000 faultless miles in it then after a non stop 2.5 hour motorway drive with the family we were very nearly home when I stopped at a set of traffic lights and BANG!

Hazards on I got out to have a look :eek:

Had to let the tyre down to get the wheel off and luckily I had my battery grinder in the boot so cut the snapped part of the spring off so I could get the spare on, then a very slow 5 minute drive home.

imagine if I was traveling at 70mph on a motorway :eek: after a search on the net it should of had a recall early on it's life for a mod that stops the spring going into the tyre.

I don't see what the problem is.. Perfectly Rover-like to me :dk: :crazy:

Seriously though, it's very lucky indeed that it happened at a standstill and not on the motorway, as you say! :eek:

Glad you are all ok!

Yikes!! :wallbash:

You were very lucky, best to replace the three other springs or just get the mod to stop it rubbing the tyre.

I've had both the fronts changed just in case, don't think the rears are a problem though.

I don't see what the problem is.. Perfectly Rover-like to me :dk: :crazy:

It's a pity that the Rover 75 is automatically coupled with the 1970's Red Robbo-affected products, and the likes of the TG mouths slagging them off. I owned a 75 Conn SE for 5 years, and actually the 75 is a very underrated car, IMHO.

My 2002 car is still going strong, in the hands of my son-in-law, at 215000 miles - yes, it does have the BMW M47 engine.

There used to be an excellent owners' website, run along the same lines as is this site, which I would encourage searching.

http://www.75ztcommunity.co.uk/general-forum.html

This seems to be the successor to the site I used to frequent.............

Last edited:
Yes thats where I found the recall info from one of the forums. Ours is also a 2002 model....the C32 has more rust than the Rover.

A friend came round last week and was taking the p!ss out of it just as an elderly couple drove past in a 45 giving it the eye :D

Google RoverRon and talk to him about a Synergy tuning box. Whether they are good or bad, I don't know, but you will notice a difference in sprightliness!!

It's a pity that the Rover 75 is automatically coupled with the 1970's Red Robbo-affected products..........

I think that such an association had long since faded away by the time the 75 came along.

......... and the likes of the TG mouths slagging them off.

And I don't think many people take the Top Gear presenters' view of anything very seriously anymore.

Jeez that was a close call.

I'm waiting for mine to do the same... :rolleyes:

Umm. Not my favourite cars. Fuel system is a nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom