Could this be turned around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

91dm

MB Enthusiast
Car
A few
I've been looking for something as a project, I seen this when it was first listed and watched it since.

1991 MERCEDES 190E 2.5-16 BLACK | eBay

Has anyone seen it in the flesh?

If it lost the wheels, grill, eyebrows, mirrors and tints it would automatically be improved. I can see the brakes need work and would expect suspension work but if it has had the work done it may be a good starting point?

I can see £7500 on the windscreen which is interesting...

It certainly has charm. I think it'll have tonnes of hidden rust as it appears to have been sitting outside for a long time however a quick search tells me the MOT ran out on 4 May 2012 so not too long ago.

I'd get it up on a ramp if you are seriously interested. You'd have to keep the bodykit and i'm not sure the sellers claim of it being fitted by MB is true but i'm not clued up on the 190E's at all.

As you say, remove a few fits, refit a set of Evo 2 alloys on and it might actually look ok. Nice short plate too. I can see an EnKhanz sticker on the back, thats a tuning company up north that mod all sorts of cars.

I can't see any photos for some reason so can't really comment. But if (big if) it has a genuine EVOII kit that's worth selling. Also, an original car is worth more and is far more in keeping too.

Proper inspection required.

The pictures have disappeared but here's the link to the last auction. LINK

I'd be pretty sure it's not a genuine kit plus the front bumper is wrong.

Cheers for the link.

Oh, there's so much wrong with it judging by the photos. It could be a basically sound car but I'd have my doubts. I only see young lads bidding on it - 'EVOII' body lit, big alloys, go faster door mirrors, big exhaust etc. Major inspection required and be prepared to come away disappointed. Actually, being candid I wouldn't bother.

You could spend £2k on that car just to get it some sort of roadworthy, those wheels want burning!

Such a shame as the car is now worth considerably less than a standard one.

Frankly, it looks like a well-Barried shed to me. It would seem the bidders agreed; it only reached just over £2k.

Eye spy an invoice from Crewe Engines and he mentions in the ad that he had the engine rebuilt....

Always heard good things about them and 16v engines and wouldnt have been cheap if it is indeed been done by them....

Yes, I spotted that invoice too, but it still looks like a shed.

Some notable engine builder's reputations have suffered a lot recently.

That was my thinking, if the engine and main parts were sound it would be worth rescuing.

I can see past the mods, they can be easily sorted.

If anyone is local, it would be interesting to hear what condition it is in..

The engine should be in good nick, suspension updated could mean anything. My money is on bodywork nasties lurking in the woodshed, but for the right in price I am sure it is sortable, however what other cars are out there which represent a better starting point? I suspect his price expectations would render a full overhaul uneconomic though...

I suspect you are right, but it rather depends on at what point reality intrudes...

That was my thinking, if the engine and main parts were sound it would be worth rescuing.

I can see past the mods, they can be easily sorted.

If anyone is local, it would be interesting to hear what condition it is in..

The fitting of that kit requires cutting the arches to fit the rounder than standard profile, so it would take a considerable amount of bodywork to remedy that part of the mods.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom