Could you keep quiet about a £161 million lotto jackpot??

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Mercy1, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Mercy1

Mercy1 Active Member

Car:
    It's a car - just a car!
    ...or would the fleet of AMGs, one for every day of the week, give the game away??:dk:

2. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Well, if I ever won anything more than a fiver, the last think I would want is to have my full name and picture - and the picture of the house I live in - all over the front pages of the daily newspapers... :dk:

3. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    It would not be possible to keep that size of win secret...no ifs, buts or maybes.

4. Cabe

Cabe Active Member

Car:
    W202 C220 CDI
    I could'nt, but then my first order of business would be to quit my job and flee to go travelling via a huge party for family and friends. I think the noise might just wake the entire county.

My close group of mates have a saying "Friends don't let friends not drive Aston Martins" If one of us makes it big we intend to share the love.

5. verytalldave

verytalldave MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    I heard the couple celebrated the win with an uncharacteristic glass of wine. :wallbash:

6. renault12ts

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    That's right, just the one, the wife doesn't drink. The husband did say the wife may get a new car.

Another nonsense couple who think they'll not change.

2 people like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Mercy1

Mercy1 Active Member

Car:
    It's a car - just a car!
    What really irritates me are the bleeding heart winners who go on to say that money can't buy happiness and they can only buy so many houses, blah, blah, and they're bored again.
    What they fail to recognise is that millions of people give up work, either voluntarily or compulsorily, without the luxury of well, luxury...
    Better to be bored and rich than bored and poor, I say:dk:

8. stevieb15

stevieb15 Active Member

Car:
    98 sl 500, 90 w126 500se, 03 CLK 320 Convertible, 90 W124 CE300
    I do think it rather depends upon your standard of living and age when you win.
    If you're already in a position where you can't eat or drink more, have one or more houses paid for, holidays when you want, even a win of this size need not be that obvious to those who have a passing acquaintance and presumably your nearest and dearest would already be in on the secret

1 person likes this.
  9. Cabe

Cabe Active Member

Car:
    W202 C220 CDI
    Those people don't shop in right places, like Mercedes Dealerships :)

A short discussion on night shift also threw out things to do with money like that.

Mine would be buy a new camera, a big, fast 4x4, and drive the Pan-American Highway. Then possibly enter the Dakar :)

10. LTD

LTD MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Yep, one of THOSE !!!
    If it was me ...

I'd let my closest friends and family know I'd won 'enough' on the Lotto to retire on. Have a party and the usual 'winning' stuff. Treat them well.

I certainly wouldn't let it be known just how monumental the win was.

Then I'd quietly decide where in the world I wanted to live and bugger off .....

11. renault12ts

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    The fact is none of us in all likelihood will ever know what would be like. Personally it would blow my mind. I couldn't help but be over generous to a long list of family and friends. The amount is mind bogglingly big. And its cash. Even very very wealthy people don't tend to have it in cash.

2 people like this.
  12. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    I would buy every chavved up Mercedes and restore it to it's former glory.

13. verytalldave

verytalldave MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    Apparently they are still only about number 430 on the rich people list in the UK. So there are very many who are much richer. MUCH.

I could very easily manage that amount of money - or much more should the offer ever come my way. Obscene amounts would be good.

Keeping that size win totally secret is virtually impossible. You have to put it somewhere, and whoever works there will know, and despite confidentiality clauses the news will leak out given a week or three.
    Getting it stopped from being published would be relatively easy however.

14. OP
    OP
    Mercy1

Mercy1 Active Member

Car:
    It's a car - just a car!
    I agree. My 'Mr Sensible' fantasy would be to keep my mouth shut (for once) and then disappear with the wife on a world tour until the fuss was over. Then I would be a generous benefactor for all my relatives and friends and charities - swearing everyone to secrecy with the threat of withholding the goodies (!!) - and I would keep a very low profile where possible. Ok, it WOULD get out, but my strong inner self (??) would ensure I kept out of the way and stayed silent! Fantasy? Sure...keep dreaming :dk:

Well that would take care of the loose change then...!

15. Cabe

Cabe Active Member

Car:
    W202 C220 CDI
    [​IMG]

:)

Stuff 100mil in the bank and at 3% that's 3 million quid a year just from interest!

16. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    I would move to Monaco............ or Switzerland

1 person likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Mercy1

Mercy1 Active Member

Car:
    It's a car - just a car!
    Why?? With that sort of capital, tax would not be an issue. You could be very rash with your cash, and still not get near to spending 160 million quid (and 3ish per cent interest) if you lived to 200:)...

18. LTD

LTD MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Yep, one of THOSE !!!
    Privacy of your financial status.

19. mattc

mattc MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 E270 avantgarde, 1994 E320 Coupe
    Instead of staying in this country I would become domicile in a tax haven. Half the untaxed interest on the money would be donated to UK charities of my choice rather than sloshing around in the general UK tax take to be frittered away. It would make me feel better thinking I had put one over the government for a change whilst being able to do something useful with the money year in year out. I'd call that a WIN WIN:bannana:

1 person likes this.
  20. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    Aah the tax issue is very true, but alas personal safety becomes an issue with that kind of money sat in my account. I'd rather be in a neighbourhood where other people have an equivalent amount in their bank accounts and hence bring no attention to me.