Could you keep quiet about a £161 million lotto jackpot??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With £160m you aren't exactly the normal punter looking to lock away a few grand for a while.

This is SERIOUS cash. Most banks would struggle to liquidate that in 24 hours and most people relate wealth to assets but this kind of motile finance makes it's own rules as the risk element is in the hands of the person supplying the funds. There is no chain of hedge-funding.

Boy, would I have fun ...

Any chance of a translation?

£160m would be swallowed in the interbank market in seconds. It is about 2 seconds of turnover in Cable. About the only time you'd get an above market rate for that is if the bank was short overnight funds, or in normal parlance, teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

What I find amazing Charles is that people are discussing the interest on £160m!

Who'd care? You'd have £160m that has been exchanged for a £2 lotto ticket!

There really is some tight sods on this forum....:ban:

Their problem, if it was one, was spending it all.

Yes but we are not talking about say £8m here are we?

To blow that kind of money and have absolutely nothing to show for it would be nigh on impossible. You would have to strategically set out to spend it all, a bit like the film Brewsters Millions.

ummm, secret millionaire springs to mind here.

Anyway, lots of ppl will say they are going to do this that and the other, stay quiet etc.

I for one will want to keep schtoom no question. Truth is though in my opinion, untill you are put in that situation you just never going to know.

depends on the type of person you are really, and if the loot changes you then you probably dont know yourself. I'm very surprised when the question arises what will you do with a lotto win and ppl say 'i dont know'.

People fail in life as they have no plan nor vision. Especially those C&*cks that go public. How stupid do u want to get?! Really beats me.

then there is the earnt millions Vs won Millions. i wouldnt give a toss if ppl knew i earnt my millions and i wanted the latest lambo when it suits me thats my achievment. Won millions aint the same in my opinion. It has no value.

i know a few 'well off' ppl through friends and family. They are the tightest P$$cks i know...why do you think they are so rich????

So,

if i won that kind of dosh, yes i would treat my misus and I to a new place, not saying a 10 bed mansion, somthing that will suit us and fit it in with our current life but just a lil 'enhanced'. And yes i would buy myself that 124 E60 from japan! Oh and have that Holiday via first class?! why not. No needs to know we went first class? nor do they need to know we had our private beach.

All this however in line with current habits and lifestyle not OTT but just facelifted! There will be a slight change of lifestyle but take it in your stride and if you know yourself dont let it get on top of you. If you dont want to be found dont take the P*ss i say.

obviously very different for the local chap in the job centre, that would be 0 to hero. (by no means am i sterotyping but you get my drift).

..if you are giving also becareful here too, i would love to help famly/friends, however often may be more pain in the ass then its worth. ppl talk and that is out of your control. Be wise i guess if you are going to give.

now..lemme get my ticket for this week. :thumb:

Any chance of a translation?

£160m would be swallowed in the interbank market in seconds. It is about 2 seconds of turnover in Cable. About the only time you'd get an above market rate for that is if the bank was short overnight funds, or in normal parlance, teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

Many wealthy people would struggle to produce that in hard cash.

In accesable hard cash those winners are probably right up there.

Very wealthy people have cash tied up in business, property, investments, yachts, cars, art, wine etc etc. not in readies.

You win. The regulations are useless.

So since we are a little off topic, my contention is that you could not possibly keep it a secret, and no one will change my mind.

You may not be able to keep the fact that you've suddenly come into a lot of money a secret but you could almost certainly keep the fact that you won the £161 million lottery a secret.

Keep your gob shut & live your 'normal' life for a few months until someone who declines to go public wins a £6 or £7 million Saturday lottery. Tell your friends & family, in strictest confidence, that winner was you. You know full well the news will get out but it'll be local gossip of a normal lotto win with little press interest. I imagine the heat following a 'publicity declined' Saturday lotto win is nothing compared to the press coverage, intrusion & harassment these people will feel. How many stories can you remember about lottery winners who declined publicity?

They'd certainly have a good grovel, introduce you to their wealth management department, who'd invest it until it was all gone.

Only if you are gullible and let investment bankers and financial advisers get their greasy hands on your money. What have they done for banks and the economy? SFA unless you count bankrupting companies and the country as an achievement.
None of these smart alecs would get near my money. Only the most reputable bank managers, home and abroad, with whom I would deal direct. And even those would only be seeing small portions - I would be spreading my millions very wide!

What I find amazing Charles is that people are discussing the interest on £160m!
Who'd care? You'd have £160m that has been exchanged for a £2 lotto ticket!
There really is some tight sods on this forum....

A point I have made in various posts. You have to be pretty ungracious to win that sort of money and moan about it not being more!!

Not tight.
Look at the stories of past lottery winners who have nowt (again) now.

Count them on one hand - there are thousands of big winners who have had their lives changed for the better, well wealthier anyway!

Very wealthy people have cash tied up in business, property, investments, yachts, cars, art, wine etc etc. not in readies.

Well yes, and so yours would be very soon...

The winners look like type of people to splash out on a new Peugeot 3008.
Their portly daughter has suddenly become attractive.....:D

Oddly enough I was talking to their beautiful daughter yesterday, and I asked her what her parents intended to do about the begging letters.

Probably keep sending them she said.

i'd keep totally quiet, with the exception of the message to finisterre with regards to my batcave.

tbh, if i'd won that kind of cash i don't think i'd have even told my wife!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom