Council Tax - Previous addresses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merc Owner 2B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 ML250 Sport BlueTec
Person A lives alone and is in receipt of a 25% council tax discount.

Person B is moving in temporarily and so person A wants to declare this to the council and realises they'll lose their 25% discount during the temporary occupancy. All above oard.

Person B is being asked by the council for details of previous addresses. For reasons of their own, they don't want to give this information.

The question is, "Do they have to give the council this information?" They were living in other boroughs and had no liability to the borough of the person they are moving in with.

Can't find a decent answer anywhere on the web

The answer is most probably no as I can't see why the council would need that information or what enforcement powers it would have to compel disclosure...but I'm not an expert.

The answer is most probably no as I can't see why the council would need that information or what enforcement powers it would have to compel disclosure...but I'm not an expert.

I can only assume that the councils share information to help avoid non-payers. But do we have to make it easy for them?

I would be inclined to answer the question with something like 'no previous address in borough x'.

Disclosing previous addresses to some random bloke at the council would increase the risk of being a victim of fraud.

Just send them a letter. You've then done your duty. It's up to them to amend the account or get awkward about some disclosure rule that they have invented...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom