Council tax refund from 11 years ago!

What should I do?

• Apply a straight interest rate of 5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
VTD - Thanks for checking and for the explaination.

Given that: (a) 80% more is a lot; and, (b) I'm a cheeky monkey; I'm going to send a very nice letter suggesting that they refund the interest. If they go for it great, but if they don't but still give me what they own then that's still pretty blooming nice as a surprise!!

Could put it towards our next holiday, planned garden overhaul, an awning, or ...loads of things!! :D

take it!!!

i (still) believe my band is one too high, (G) - should be an F IMHO.

i contacted the coucil and they say no. i only moved in 2 years ago so havnt pursued it further.

EDIT - i see you will be asking for the interest; i guess it cant hurt - they cant really go back on their offer..... ie them; we will give you X refund. You; i want interest too! Then; no, and now because of that we wont give you X refund anymore!! may aswell ask

A few weeks ago I received a letter stating that policy is not to pay interest and cheques for originally stated amounts would be issued, and which arrived last week. Nothing lost and worth a try!!

A few weeks ago I received a letter stating that policy is not to pay interest and cheques for originally stated amounts would be issued, and which arrived last week. Nothing lost and worth a try!!

I would ask them do they charge interest on payments in arrears? If so then they are in a weak position to say they dont. If they dont charge interest - then drop it..:D

I would ask them do they charge interest on payments in arrears? If so then they are in a weak position to say they dont. If they dont charge interest - then drop it..:D

I asked them before I submitted my letter, and there's not a straight forward response - it all "depends":

Just called them to ask a hypothetical question. There is no "interest" due as such if an individual underpays or falls behind...

If you fail to make a payment then you receive three reminder letters over the course of three months. If you're still behind in your payments then it goes to court which is when it begins attract "costs" which would be a minimum of £68.

After it's court then then it's all dependent upon the specifics of the case: whether they contacted the council, whether they're trying to make payments, salary/benefit income, etc.

So not a simple answer.

I could send them an invoice with "costs", maybe the minimum £68 :D

Ah well, the refund's still nice- Are we talking week in Clacton, or all-inclusive in the Maldives? ;)

Two answers:

If you don't like caravans: it's paying for the C32's service in a few weeks time.

If you do like caravans: It bought us a new awning and a few bits for our caravan.

Two answers:

If you don't like caravans: it's paying for the C32's service in a few weeks time.

If you do like caravans: It bought us a new awning and a few bits for our caravan.

Hope your car enjoys its visit to the garage............:D:D

take it!!!

i (still) believe my band is one too high, (G) - should be an F IMHO.

i contacted the coucil and they say no. i only moved in 2 years ago so havnt pursued it further.

EDIT - i see you will be asking for the interest; i guess it cant hurt - they cant really go back on their offer..... ie them; we will give you X refund. You; i want interest too! Then; no, and now because of that we wont give you X refund anymore!! may aswell ask

I only just spotted this.

Some years ago I bought a house and discovered that the purchase price was well below the valuation for CT purposes.

Appealed to the District aluers office, not the council as it's nothing to do with them.

I found the Valuers office very easy to deal with unlike the council.

Anyway I chased after about 6 months and the Valuers had still not contacted me to re inspect and 2 weeks later received confirmation that it was overvalued and I was to be adjusted to a band below what I had been paying and a refund was due.

My neighbour was spitting feathers!

It helps if you have some kind of defect, my house had no central heatng when bought it.

Two answers:

Hopefully £7.49p left over for some of this. ;):D

wwheels.bmp.jpg

Last edited:
Moneysavingexpert has a useful section on the whys and wherefore of challenging council tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom