Councils reverse road closures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 W204 C180K
The reduced traffic levels during lock down lead to knee jerk decisions to close roads or reduce traffic lanes for motor vehicles in favour of cyclists. It was always going to end in tears when things got back to normal as reported below. Such a shame the money has been wasted when it could have been used for something useful, like improving the roads as opposed to making them worse. This quote from one Councillor at least sums it up with some honesty: the suggestions “had not been particularly thought through” I recall we predicted this outcome at the time

Councils reverse road closures as residents bash ‘green’ scheme | Autocar

The reduced traffic levels during lock down lead to knee jerk decisions to close roads or reduce traffic lanes for motor vehicles in favour of cyclists. It was always going to end in tears when things got back to normal as reported below. Such a shame the money has been wasted when it could have been used for something useful, like improving the roads as opposed to making them worse. This quote from one Councillor at least sums it up with some honesty: the suggestions “had not been particularly thought through” I recall we predicted this outcome at the time

Councils reverse road closures as residents bash ‘green’ scheme | Autocar
Don't get me started on this. Too late, you have. The scheme started in our village today. God knows how the ****wit politicos got it past the highway authority. Forget about it being the answer to a problem that doesn't exist; it's the most dangerous road layout I have ever seen. And just wait until our schools return next week.

Don't get me started on this. Too late, you have. The scheme started in our village today. God knows how the ****wit politicos got it past the highway authority. Forget about it being the answer to a problem that doesn't exist; it's the most dangerous road layout I have ever seen. And just wait until our schools return next week.
Then use a freedom of information request to find out which local politicians voted for this ; if they are not carrying out the wishes of the electorate they can be voted out at the next election.

Use local press to make it clear they are not following the wishes of residents.

The council might actually be guilty of obstruction of the highway

one Councillor at least sums it up with some honesty: the suggestions “had not been particularly thought through”
Unfortunately, neither Oxford City Council members nor Citizen Khan in London are blessed with that degree of honesty :mad:

This makes me chuckle.. Did these council authorities / govement bodies think all the cars have suddenly and magically dissapeared? Never to return..? I guess they did..

Parhaps they should sart building Unicorn only lanes..

Then use a freedom of information request to find out which local politicians voted for this ; if they are not carrying out the wishes of the electorate they can be voted out at the next election.

Use local press to make it clear they are not following the wishes of residents.

The council might actually be guilty of obstruction of the highway

If only it was that simple.

In my Borough the plans were already in place before Covid and were all implemented using the Covid Emergency powers without any legal consultation. I think you will find that our politically motivated car hating Local Council Planning and Highways department are actually unelected. My Borough has been exclusively Red for 100 years and the chances of any one politician being voted out over it is zero.

Its a self serving movement. Shut side streets to make the main routes gridlocked. See air pollution go up, bring in even more anti car legislation and so on and so on.

If only it was that simple.

In my Borough the plans were already in place before Covid and were all implemented using the Covid Emergency powers without any legal consultation. I think you will find that our politically motivated car hating Local Council Planning and Highways department are actually unelected. My Borough has been exclusively Red for 100 years and the chances of any one politician being voted out over it is zero.

Its a self serving movement. Shut side streets to make the main routes gridlocked. See air pollution go up, bring in even more anti car legislation and so on and so on.
Whether the faceless bureaucrats are elected or not , they are answerable to elected members - if ‘their’ administration won’t answer to their wishes , they have the power to have them replaced .

Did these council authorities / govement bodies think all the cars have suddenly and magically dissapeared? Never to return..?
No, but it plays to their ideology.

I well remember that when the DfT announced they were going to make improvements (and I use that term with full irony) to M40 J9 a few years back, Oxfordshire County Council said that they wouldn't support any changes that didn't include a bus lane on the roundabout. This would have removed one third of the road space, to accommodate 3 buses per hour southbound, and the same number northbound. Complete morons :mad:

Whether the faceless bureaucrats are elected or not , they are answerable to elected members - if ‘their’ administration won’t answer to their wishes , they have the power to have them replaced .

And in the real world ?

With our current local government system in large cities. The majority of low income voters will vote for whatever Red candidates are put forward and people like myself a business owner who contribute financially substantially more get no say whatsoever.

Its the system we have

A copy of my latest letter to the Council :)

I refer to the above notice. I will not be paying this ticket and request that it is cancelled immediately. As you can see clearly from the images my vehicle is a commercial vehicle. I quote Lewisham Councils own website regarding this Pedestrian Zone. I also attach my delivery note showing I was delivering to the Pedestrian Zone to which there is absolutely no other vehicular access.

“Catford Broadway/Brookdale Road pedestrian zone

The only vehicles allowed in this pedestrian zone are delivery vehicles and those accessing private parking areas.”

I look forward to hearing from you and if it is not cancelled I would request a Court date as soon as possible as I will not be letting this drop. I deliver to this area on at least a weekly basis and it is a complete waste of time and money. I suppose I will be getting a ticket every time as your camera operators do not seem to have the mental ability to identify a large Commercial Vehicle and / or know the actual regulations for the area they are supposedly enforcing.

Funnily enough its been 2 weeks and still not heard anything :)

A copy of my latest letter to the Council :)

I refer to the above notice. I will not be paying this ticket and request that it is cancelled immediately. As you can see clearly from the images my vehicle is a commercial vehicle. I quote Lewisham Councils own website regarding this Pedestrian Zone. I also attach my delivery note showing I was delivering to the Pedestrian Zone to which there is absolutely no other vehicular access.

“Catford Broadway/Brookdale Road pedestrian zone

The only vehicles allowed in this pedestrian zone are delivery vehicles and those accessing private parking areas.”

I look forward to hearing from you and if it is not cancelled I would request a Court date as soon as possible as I will not be letting this drop. I deliver to this area on at least a weekly basis and it is a complete waste of time and money. I suppose I will be getting a ticket every time as your camera operators do not seem to have the mental ability to identify a large Commercial Vehicle and / or know the actual regulations for the area they are supposedly enforcing.

Funnily enough its been 2 weeks and still not heard anything :)

Therein lies the other solution to this nonsense : blanket disobedience of the stupidity ; swamp them with so many disobediences that their system will be overwhelmed and will fall over .

Oh , and don’t presume that low income voters will support this either , it will be affecting everyone equally ; get as many on side as possible . Perhaps you need a new candidate who will stand up for common sense and turn things round if elected ; someone who will appeal across the political spectrum .

Therein lies the other solution to this nonsense : blanket disobedience of the stupidity ; swamp them with so many disobediences that their system will be overwhelmed and will fall over .

Oh , and don’t presume that low income voters will support this either , it will be affecting everyone equally ; get as many on side as possible . Perhaps you need a new candidate who will stand up for common sense and turn things round if elected ; someone who will appeal across the political spectrum .

I'm not assuming low income voters want it any more than me but they are more bothered about other things the reds have to offer. See Diane Abbott ....

Apathy is the number one weapon of the know better than you rulers. I for one am guilty of it. It's a heck of alot easier to moan on a forum than actually get off my **** and do something. I'm too busy actually trying to not go skint post Covid !

Reactions: 219
This is what they did in my area in SE London....no public consultation. It has cause traffic chaos let alone pollution for miles around and now Bromley are taking Croydon to court as Bromley is being impacted by Croydon's actions. Again this was supposed to have been done to make the area cycle friendly but the hills on the closed roads are soo steep that nobody apart from a superathlete could ever cycle up them.

Cross-border legal tussle brewing as Bromley gets tough on Crystal Palace road closures

The have stopped emptying the bins on a weekly basis as it looks like cutbacks are in force with a vengance but are ready to spend on this nonsense and create chaos.

Good ole Croydon. Wait til the Schools go back in that area and it will be a war zone.

Up here the council have taken the brilliant step of making a busy road 1 way and on the closed part have put car parking spaces in the middle of the road right before a right turn so you drive down the road stop at the line of cars waiting to do a right turn at a set of traffic lights, sit there for a while lights go green nobody moves, think what the hell is that driver at the front playing at then realise its a line of parked cars in the middle of the bloody road! Genius!

Reactions: 219
It's almost as if this moronic ****wittery has had a national co-ordinator for highway design. Have all the professional highway engineers been sacked?

It's almost as if this moronic ****wittery has had a national co-ordinator for highway design. Have all the professional highway engineers been sacked?
Yes , by David Begg

My local Poole/Bournemouth/Christchurch council in their wisdom decided to close a busy cliff top road to give "cyclists an alternative to the Undercliff road" which hasn't allowed cars to use for years and years. So a big detour for cars and a nightmare for hotel guests.
No notice, no chance for the public to object and put over their point of view.
Just a council that doesn't hide their distaste for cars yet puts parking meters or double yellows on almost all roads in the area and bends the motorist over at every opportunity.

Fortunately, after huge uproar from hotel owners along the road the council have now backtracked on the idea. Well thought out and planned !:wallbash:..................not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom