Count Arthur Strong. BBC 2 Monday 8th of July.

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by ringway, Jul 3, 2013.

1. ringway

ringway MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDI - A Fantastic Car! Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely! Also R32 & S4.
    After years of "Un-bloody believable" success on BBC Radio 4, Count Arthur Strong finally gets his chance to shine in his own TV series which starts on Monday 8th of July on BBC 2 at 8.30pm. LINK.

Put this in your diary in "Thriplicate" and he's sure to make you an offer he can't refuse. :thumb:

4 people like this.
  2. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Will be interesting to see if it makes a successful transition to the intense unforgiving glare of television. In some ways it has the same humour as the classic Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights and that's a hard act to follow.

3. OP
    OP
    ringway

ringway MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDI - A Fantastic Car! Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely! Also R32 & S4.

I agree. The radio shows are superb, but I have a fear that the TV series may fall flat on its face because for the majority of viewers it will be their first taste of The Count and I'm not certain that many will "click" with the humour straight away. :(

Here's hoping... :)

4. abecketts

abecketts MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes X250, Alfa Giulia Veloce, Alfa 166 3.2, Alfa Spider 3.0, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
    I'd also be concerned about the move to tv, Harry Hill when doing his radio show was hilarious though since moving to TV its not had the same impact.

5. TDE1

TDE1 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB & BMW
    Just watched the first couple of episodes on iPlayer :thumb:

Thoroughly enjoyable, and nice to see Barry Cryer in it, as well as the older chap who toured with him (name escapes me, but he played Private Pike's understudy when they came to Worcester).

Made my night - cheers :)

6. OP
    OP
    ringway

ringway MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I haven't yet watched the latest episode, but up to now I don't find it as funny as the radio show.
    I think omitting Malcolm, Wilf the Butcher, Sally, and Gerry from the caf'e is a mistake. It is like starting all over again. However, I suspect Delaney's hand may have been forced on that score.

2 people like this.
  7. TDE1

TDE1 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB & BMW
    Granted, but perhaps there were difficulties in retaining the same cast. Just glad he made it back on to the silver screen... Been a long time since Bridge Up The River Kwai ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    ringway

ringway MB Enthusiast

Car:

Rumour has it that he may or may nort be, the erm, next host of Homes Under the Hammock. :D

9. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Watching it now...

10. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    I agree, but the third episode is an improvement, he is back on character...

2 people like this.
  11. PXW

PXW MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance
    Not a fan, I'm afraid. Have listened in a number of times on the radio and raised nary a smile. Watched some on the TV, and ditto. Lots of 'jokes' about which lady, obviously more senior and professional than him, were going to make the tea. Ho hum. For me, even comedy has to have some reference point to real life, and with CAS I just don't get it; I just see it as ridiculous rather than comedic. But he's obviously got a following so good luck to him. As we often say on here, I've always got the option of the channel select button :D

1 person likes this.
  12. boxbrownie

boxbrownie MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML350Cdi BE now replaced, E220 2013MY just for a bit.....
    Last night show was the best yet, as with most new series it takes a while to get into its stride and I think CAS is now reaching that point, the radio show always has me laughing out loud.......the TV version is getting closer now.

4 people like this.
  13. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Last episode was a cracker. I think its the contrast of jogging along with the seemingly mundane dialogue and then suddenly you are impaled with several barbs of sublime humour. The flushing the salmon down the toilet and free willy joke was the highlight for me.:D

1 person likes this.
  14. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    [YOUTUBE HD]QbNKNqOwgMo[/YOUTUBE HD]

1 person likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    ringway

ringway MB Enthusiast

Car:

It was an improvement on the first two episodes and as already said, it's getting better. :D

1 person likes this.
  16. MOCAŠ

MOCAŠ MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLK
    Fear not - a second series has already been commissioned.

2 people like this.
  17. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    [YOUTUBE]aqeYr5leDp4[/YOUTUBE]

18. TDE1

TDE1 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB & BMW
    RW,

Just realised - Barry Cryer did not appear on the TV show. Apologies.

Been wondering where that notion came from. But.... I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

19. boxbrownie

boxbrownie MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML350Cdi BE now replaced, E220 2013MY just for a bit.....
    I thought I saw Barry Cryer appear on the "Memorial Episode" a couple of weeks ago?

20. TDE1

TDE1 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB & BMW
    You're quite right! He started the speech at the wake - I must have been having a senior moment during my retraction :rolleyes:

Was a little disappointed by this evening's episode, I don't mind admitting.