Counterfeit Pound Coins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 AMG Line Premium Plus. W205
Something I have never done before with coins and that is checked If they are genuine.I didn't really know what to look for at the time but this one stood out a mile from the others I had in my pocket.On checking with the royal mint website I'm now armed with a little more info.Decided to see what I could find around the house including the wife's baggage and was quite surprised Out of ten 1 pound coins we had this one and 2 others which look suspect.The one in the pic has the writing off center more to the edge and the rear face all the pips at the bottom are flat where it hasn't been pressed properly.Will be interesting to know if anyone else has got dodgy money without realizing it.

STA72084.jpg

STA72080.jpg

Link to real coins and some fake one too look out for. http://www.ukcoinpics.co.uk/dec1p.html

I am probably missing something here but i can't see the point of going to all the trouble?

I am probably missing something here but i can't see the point of going to all the trouble?

What, with some kind of mechanical press turning out say 5 coins a minute, 300 a hour.

For a eight hour day £2400.:D

Where can I get one of them presses?

Dec

Over a period of about 3 years I got handed quite a few from the toll booths at the Dartford river crossing. According to those in the know, its a common thing there.
They dont pass close scrutiny, but look OK when you are in a hurry. Its only when you come to use them in a vending machine that you normally find out. The duff coins are usually quite soft and will mark if you bite into them with your teeth. Also, the gold colour is usually only a coating and the coins are a silver colour underneath.
Often made from melted down old drink cans I am told.

Last edited:
"So officer, you accuse Mrs Pluggers of having dodgy coinage in her baggage - Counterfeit?"

"Yes, m'lud, she has two."

Tah very much, Tall. Just tested the nineteen in the house and found all of them to be real. however two new crowns cost considerably more than 19 quid....:D

The usual test is to scrape a suspect coin with another one. The surface of dud coins scrapes off and is silver underneath. Good ones can't be scraped and remain a gold colour.
One of my staff asked me to check a suspect £5 note once because it didn't feel right. I pointed out he was probably correct because real ones don't have the Queen’s head on both sides :rolleyes:

or, drop them onto somthing - fake ones go 'dink'

Back in 1986 i saw a guy make a 50p with some plaster in a shoe polish tin as a mould and melted lead, not as quick as a press though.

sTeVe

Isn't this the new money Gordon Brown is running off?

No, Gordon's new money won't be worth forging.

They've obviously been looking at that economic success story, orchestrated by that nice Mr Mugabe. (....and no doubt hoping they'll prove as difficult to remove from power!...)

Last edited:
Back in 1986 i saw a guy make a 50p with some plaster in a shoe polish tin as a mould and melted lead, not as quick as a press though.

sTeVe

Did he coin the praise "Made a mint"?

Think about it... until a few months ago, £1 was about a fifth of a monthly salary for the average Gambian. So even making 5 fake coins a month, he would be matching the average salary...

There's quite a big international market in fake pound/euro coins (and dollar bills). Small pieces are easier to pass off than big ones, people check less!

M.

"So officer, you accuse Mrs Pluggers of having dodgy coinage in her baggage - Counterfeit?"

"Yes, m'lud, she has two."
LOL I bet it was her that gave me this one for the supermarket trolly the other day :D

Back in my misspent youth we discovered a Mazda colour that is pretty much identical to pound coins, made em out of car body filler and a blob of silver solder to give em some weight.

and yes i have paid for all my crimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom