Country Lanes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carnut

Car
SL400 & audi A1
:) Drove to Brixham & back yesterday (400miles - 7hrs) and as is my wont,to eleviate the boredom of Motorways I set the satnav to take me across country for part of the journey ( hood down etc).Is it me getting older and less bolder but I keep meeting idoits who seem to think that they can drive down lanes at 30 -50 mph without any regard for other traffic? Its probably me so i take it very easy indeed on this part of my journey.

Wonderful scenic route from Andover to Hungerford (Highland cattle & Buffalo at one point (in a field!)) yesterday,and managed to avoid most of the hairbrained locals . Imagine my face when aroung a corner on a VERY narrow lane comes a HUMMER + SHEEP TRAILER at about 30mph!!!:eek: :cool:

If anyone knows of this person (can't be many with this combo) can they tell them from me that they are an idiotic T**t :eek:

This is the widest "car" on the road and didnt slow down one bit!

I had to take to the verge and it missed me by inches (or less!):crazy:

Nevertheless I can thoroughly recommend using the Satnav on "shortest /No Motorway" setting and enjoying your driving. Its suprising that while the main roads are chocker, the little roads can be a real pleasure (subject to the heartstoppers above)

:) :) :)

:) Drove to Brixham & back yesterday (400miles - 7hrs) and as is my wont,to eleviate the boredom of Motorways I set the satnav to take me across country for part of the journey ( hood down etc).Is it me getting older and less bolder but I keep meeting idoits who seem to think that they can drive down lanes at 30 -50 mph without any regard for other traffic? Its probably me so i take it very easy indeed on this part of my journey.

Wonderful scenic route from Andover to Hungerford (Highland cattle & Buffalo at one point (in a field!)) yesterday,and managed to avoid most of the hairbrained locals . Imagine my face when aroung a corner on a VERY narrow lane comes a HUMMER + SHEEP TRAILER at about 30mph!!!:eek: :cool:

If anyone knows of this person (can't be many with this combo) can they tell them from me that they are an idiotic T**t :eek:

This is the widest "car" on the road and didnt slow down one bit!

I had to take to the verge and it missed me by inches (or less!):crazy:

Nevertheless I can thoroughly recommend using the Satnav on "shortest /No Motorway" setting and enjoying your driving. Its suprising that while the main roads are chocker, the little roads can be a real pleasure (subject to the heartstoppers above)

:) :) :)

Believe me where I live these other monster 4 x 4 cars come along in the middle of the road all day.

I have done what you did and it does make a change on a nice day when topless

Malcolm; why does the Satnav work better when you have your top off :devil:

Works for me! :eek:

What do you mean I don't have a convertible? :devil:

Lol!!!!! :devil: ;)

Do you have relatives down in Brixham then? My parents still live down there so know the journey very well. It's not the usual type of place to go just for a day though!

Have we lost the thread that quickly!!

Yes....but getting back on topic you are right; the path less travelled is often a nice way to see the country and so many of us are quilty of simply rushing from one place to the next without taking in the sights along the way.

As the Sherpa said to Sir Edmund Hilary on Everest : "some come to look:eek:ther come to see";)

I went to see how my Boat was now its out of the water for service/antifoul etc at Dartmouth. Lovely day in Devon with some berk from the Red Arrows practicing at such low level I nearly fell of the boat...from a very great hight as its about 30 ft from Flybridge to ground when its on sticks!!:eek:

Seems to be a country problem -- Hummers towing sheep and red arrow jets.......I went to London the other day and saw the worse of all........................................a bendy bus.......:eek:

Hello

Agree the country roads offer some great drives.. (ooh and a great track...country roads..take me home...to a place...

Anyway it does amaze me how many people seem to lose the plot driving on them as they are too use to motorways and have no idea on how to take bends or keep to a set speed.

As for the hummer... depending how narrow the road is, I'm probably that wide with the Caravan :) :) :)

Hello

Agree the country roads offer some great drives.. (ooh and a great track...country roads..take me home...to a place...

Anyway it does amaze me how many people seem to lose the plot driving on them as they are too use to motorways and have no idea on how to take bends or keep to a set speed.

As for the hummer... depending how narrow the road is, I'm probably that wide with the Caravan :) :) :)

Nows that's unfair --- calling yourself a "wide boy" with a caravan....:D

Believe me where I live these other monster 4 x 4 cars come along in the middle of the road all day.

Not just 4x4s.

The scariest road I know is the road from Faslane to Arrochar.

The Arrochar road is not heavily used, is nominally two lane, has no central markings in many places, and has sections with a rock face on one side and walling on the other with dips and chinks that pinch the road. Oncoming trucks/vans come at speed with no escape on either side and no margin for error.

Or conversely don't know how to navigate a single track road by looking ahead and using passing places strategically.

...but I keep meeting idoits who seem to think that they can drive down lanes at 30 -50 mph without any regard for other traffic?

Tell me about it!

When I go to visit my family in Devon its a nightmare being stuck behind these dawdlers. ;)

Not just 4x4s.

The scariest road I know is the road from Faslane to Arrochar.

The Arrochar road is not heavily used, is nominally two lane, has no central markings in many places, and has sections with a rock face on one side and walling on the other with dips and chinks that pinch the road. Oncoming trucks/vans come at speed with no escape on either side and no margin for error.

For a second there i thought you ment the contractors road taking you back to the A82. That is a cool road :)

.....and they're still driving in the middle of the road when they get home to Fulham. I think that's why half these people buy these cars - so they can straddle the centre of the road and barge other people off to either side.

I keep meeting idoits who seem to think that they can drive down lanes at 30 -50 mph without any regard for other traffic?

I think they're called 'locals' (or possibly Yocals) and normally drive Subaru estates or 1970s Land Rovers.
Never buy a used car off a farmer :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom