Couple of Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

killie77

Car
E270cdi
Hi
Wonder if anyone can help with this, have the E270 cdi Auto think it's the 5 Speed Box. The wife was driving the Car the other day and accidentally moved the Shift sideways to the minus position,the gear selector on the dash then showed 1st Gear. she moved it to the right and it went up 2nd 3rd 4th then to Drive.
She was traveling about 15 to 20 miles an hour so i'm wondering if this was OK
or should it have dropped to a higher gear at that speed maybe 2nd or 3rd.
The Other question is the dash is reading about 21 to 22 mph in town at the moment does that seem about right for the 270 has about 98000 on the clock it's an o4 plate.
Thanks for any Info
Ian
PS tried the shift again today dropped straight from drive to 1st at approx 20 mph. Both times the Car had just been started from Cold

Perfectly ok AFAIK. Use of the gearbox like that is dependant upon speed of the vehicle, the gear it's in when nudged left and if the stick is just nudged to the left or held there. A quick nudge should drop it down just one gear. It obviously shouldn't change down to first gear if the speed of the vehicle is above the pre set limit. Knocked to the left and held there for a few seconds and it will drop several gears, according to the speed.
A 'quick' nudge is key to it.

The display doesn't show which actual gear the vehicle is in, it shows the limit to which higher gear is selected. eg. if it's showing 2 in the display, the box won't change up above 2nd gear.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply :thumb
Had the Gearbox oil drained and a new filter put in last week.
Had me thinking that was causing it to go to first gear.. Had a feeling the low speed was the cause of it. Thanks for explaining how it works..
Regards
Ian

Ian, it's the Tiptronic feature of the MB Autobox. I seldom use it, but it can be useful for engine braking on steep downhills. it's not as good as the tiptronic gearbox on my 968 cab - which I drive as a clutchless manual virtually all the time - but it has a separate gate for operating in manual mode.

She was traveling about 15 to 20 miles an hour so i'm wondering if this was OK or should it have dropped to a higher gear at that speed

The car won't drop into so low a gear as to over-rev the engine.

The Other question is the dash is reading about 21 to 22 mph in town

Do you mean mpg?

MPG will vary immensely depending on many factors. Engine temperature, ambient temperature, engine wear, driving style, journey length, traffic conditions, full/empty boot, air-con on/off, and electrical load such as lights, heater blower fan, heated rear window, heated seats etc will all have an effect.

Thanks Meldrew2
Driving in Glasgow, aircon on all the time as it's always raining and auto headlights and wipers on. Guess that would push up the Fuel consumption.
something we will have to get used to after running the Focus which was petrol and manual.
Thanks
Ian

Pressing and holding the lever to the left will select the lowest gear the microbrain considers safe for the current roadspeed. Pressing and holding it to the right will select the highest gear for the roadspeed.

A quick nudge either way will change up or down one gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom