Courtesy cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like a bodyshop car to me. I've never been in that situation, but it's common on fault claims to just be given the cheapest thing ever (hyundai matrix is so far may worst!)

See what MB customer services come back with, have you owned the car from new and had the servicing done at dealer?

Also interested why it could be up to a month!

A Mercedes main dealer giving you a VW as a courtesy car?

That was always the case with Western Automobile Co in Edinburgh since the 1960's . They used to give out VW Beetles ( air cooled ) ; my parents liked them so much they bought one after that first courtesy car in 1964 , and went on to have a new one every year or two until production ceased in the mid 70's . After that , we ran water cooled VW's and Audis as second cars .

I think if the OP wants to pay the hire cost he could certainly have a Mercedes , and that the garage are to be congratulated in keeping costs down by not financing costlier than necessary courtesy cars which otherwise would have to be paid for by raising prices to all customers .

The very name COURTESY car in fact emphasises that it is given out of goodwill , and they aren't obliged to loan cars out free of charge at all ; they could send you down the road to Enterprise , Avis or whoever - so you jolly well ought to be glad of any 'freebie' on offer that keeps you mobile .

Demanding more will just increase costs , and therefore prices .

Yes, I thought that too. Never had anything other than merc personally. Some times an a class, but always a merc.

I'd much rather have a Golf or a Polo ( proper German cars ) than a horrid Renault with Mercedes badges stuck on .

Yep those were the two options given to me, the Group that own the franchised dealership sell many other brands, but I have red a few times that people have had MBs and this is a warranty case, not a customer fault...

I'm glad to hear I'm not being snobby! Plus dependant on the time period I have this courtesy car, going from a well used estate car to a very small city car is going to be very hard to live with!

If you need an estate , ask for a Passat !

As this work is being done under warranty, and the choice of body shop is being made by the dealer,then i would expect the dealer,not the body shop to supply a suitable replacement vehicle. An estate may be difficult for the dealer but a c or e class could be found. Given the length of time maybe even MB UK could source a car

Push harder and suggest thst

I'd think they'd have a trade in of some sort they could lend you ...

If it is having warranty work then one assumes it is for a fault caused by something that MB are legally responsible for?

In that case you paid MB for a vehicle that suits your needs but are being denied the use of that vehicle for a significant period of time and the only proper course of action by a responsible supplier would be to ensure you had a like for like vehicle during the repair period.

I've been asked usually what car I would like, the choices being SLC, E class, C class or A class. Haven't been offered a Smart car yet which I wouldn't mind trying tbh.

If the don't have anything similar, they should be able to hire one for you.

I'm not aware of many direct links between the A class and the Megane, other than some technology sharing and common engines. Oddly I've had that engine now in two cars, neither of them badged Renault.

Important thing to remember is that car manufacturers source parts from many part suppliers, and often to different specifications.

I drive two Fiats, one made in Poland that's also available as a Ford, one made in Turkey that's also available as a Vauxhall. My B class has the same basic engine as my Qashqai had but does not drive in any way the same, my E class probably contains stuff that's in so many other cars.

Motor manufacturing is a global concern, parts supply and research and development also. Companies like Lotus and Ricardo do tons of contract work for manufacturers and so yes, plenty of overlap. But people buy cars with logic and emotion, and may need an estate car but want a touch of luxury so buy a Mercedes, BMW or Audi when they could have bought something just as good, but cheaper.

Many years ago my E-Class went in to Mercedes at Beaconsfield to get the rear end repaired after a Skoda tried to climb into the boot (and was a complete write off). They were part of the Hughes group and provided me with a garish pink Kia tiny thing (obliterated the model from my memory, I'm not even certain it was a Kia). It made the VW Polo look massive. In its favour, it was good for my health - I parked it around the corner out of sight at home and at work, and I walked everywhere I could rather than have to drive it.

I'm not aware of many direct links between the A class and the Megane, other than some technology sharing and common engines. Oddly I've had that engine now in two cars, neither of them badged Renault.

Important thing to remember is that car manufacturers source parts from many part suppliers, and often to different specifications.

I drive two Fiats, one made in Poland that's also available as a Ford, one made in Turkey that's also available as a Vauxhall. My B class has the same basic engine as my Qashqai had but does not drive in any way the same, my E class probably contains stuff that's in so many other cars.

Motor manufacturing is a global concern, parts supply and research and development also. Companies like Lotus and Ricardo do tons of contract work for manufacturers and so yes, plenty of overlap. But people buy cars with logic and emotion, and may need an estate car but want a touch of luxury so buy a Mercedes, BMW or Audi when they could have bought something just as good, but cheaper.

Look at a Megane and an A Class side by side ( I have , when I saw them in a street ) and you will see they are clearly the same basic vehicle .

The current A Class is a badge engineered Renault Megane .

1) They share a Diesel engine, it's by no means a rebadged Renault.
2) the last a class courtesy car I had wasn't the current model anyway, you just assumed that part.
3) none of what you said is relevant to this thread.

2) the last a class courtesy car I had wasn't the current model anyway, you just assumed that part.

1) they share a lot more than that

2) so that was what you got , does that mean the same must apply to everyone else ?

3) all of it is entirely relevant .

As our body shop is shared by 5 brands, we also have Polo's and Up's. We do on occasion give customers MB demonstrators, but it's down to us and the individual circumstance. We gave a lady our SLC demonstrator for two weeks recently because of the amount of time her car was going to be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they do share an engine surely its only the '180' diesel?

Look at a Megane and an A Class side by side ( I have , when I saw them in a street ) and you will see they are clearly the same basic vehicle .

Well that's simply not true. The current A Class is built on the MFA platform and the Megane on the CMF-CD platform developed by the Renault-Nissan alliance. What apart from the 1.5 engine do you believe is shared?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom