COVENTRY-BRITAINS DETROIT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
EXCELLENT HISTORY of the BRITISH car industry when we were up with the best.
It was indeed an excellent program, one which left me feeling it could easily have been developed as a series that delved deeper into many of the topics.

The Jaguar engine plant used to be down the road from me, unfortunately it is now a housing estate. At least they named it Daimler Green. My Granddad worked there for years until he retired.

The Jaguar engine plant used to be down the road from me, unfortunately it is now a housing estate. At least they named it Daimler Green. My Granddad worked there for years until he retired.

It is rumoured that many a worn out engine went in there on the night shift and came out fully reconditioned the next morning.

I’m from Radford too 🙂🙂👍🏻👍🏻

I started my career at motor panels next to Dunlop and drank in the pilot pub most Friday lunches, then found myself working in jubilee crescent in the late 90's. Small world.....

Used to walk home from school past the Dunlop after spending my bus fare on sweets!
and I can probably remember all of the old shops ‘down the crezz’ 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼🙂🙂🙂

Used to walk home from school past the Dunlop after spending my bus fare on sweets!
and I can probably remember all of the old shops ‘down the crezz’ 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼🙂🙂🙂
Depending on how old you are, we may have met and never knew it!

Cov kid here too. I went to school opposite the carbodies plant and pretty close to Alvis. Lots of family worked in the industry, Alvis, Morris engines etc.
We had a bit of a spat (and lost!) with Jag and the council when they wanted to build their relief road across greenbelt behind our house and now the plant isn't really there, Amazon are.
Family story of my Uncle bring a Scorpion home for lunch one day, grandmother didn't know which was the front and it went the opposite way to that which she was expecting, nearly took her toes out!
I haven't been back for years but frankly last time the city centre was awful.

Last edited:
I started my career at motor panels next to Dunlop and drank in the pilot pub most Friday lunches, then found myself working in jubilee crescent in the late 90's. Small world.....
I live just off there! Jubilee Cres is brilliant, still has most of the shops you need there. Mrs 6600 works there now

It is rumoured that many a worn out engine went in there on the night shift and came out fully reconditioned the next morning.

OMG talk about a small world! 👍👍

Cov kid here too. I went to school opposite the carbodies plant and pretty close to Alvis. Lots of family worked in the industry, Alvis, Morris engines etc.
We had a bit of a spat (and lost!) with Jag and the council when they wanted to build their relief road across greenbelt behind our house and now the plant isn't really there, Amazon are.
Family story of my Uncle bring a Scorpion home for lunch one day, grandmother didn't know which was the front and it went the opposite way to that which she was expecting, nearly took her toes out!
I haven't been back for years but frankly last time the city centre was awful.
It's still awful, although lots of work has gone on as we are officially the 'City of Culture 2021' :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ted
I live just off there! Jubilee Cres is brilliant, still has most of the shops you need there. Mrs 6600 works there now

OMG talk about a small world! 👍👍
I worked at the Kwik Save, late 90's.......

Kwikies! My mate had the fruit and veg concession (as well as the one in Bell Green)
Dropped it mid nineties iirc
as Bob says, small world.

Kwikies! My mate had the fruit and veg concession (as well as the one in Bell Green)
Dropped it mid nineties iirc
as Bob says, small world.
Joe Richards? IIRC the owner passed away and then they closed. Was the best fruit and veg shop, miss it even today.

I worked at the Kwik Save, late 90's.......

In that case, I would have definitely seen you as we were in Kwik Save regularly

My first job was as a graduate trainee at Chrysler in the mid 70s. Some of us rented a house in Anne Crescent, off St James Lane. We used to drink in the White Bear or the Chase Hotel. It's a close run thing, but I think I prefer Detroit!

Joe Richards had his own shop in Jubilee Crescent, (and one in Cheylesmore) and very nice it was too.
My mates name was Steve but (long story) he dropped it mid nineties. Joe was doing well, and could well have taken over the concession.
And yes, istr him dying a few years ago.

In that case, I would have definitely seen you as we were in Kwik Save regularly
I was the store manager there, probably from 96-2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom